Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Catseyes Posts: 51, Reputation: 5

Mar 27, 2006, 10:40 AM
    Tipping : Sushi bar
    Good morning everyone,

I have a question about tipping. As I am from Western Europe, the " tipping culture" is rather strange to me now that I live in the US. But I've managed to understand the minimum of it ( waitress, hairdresser.. )

My problem is about Sushi bars. I love sushis, and I love to seat at the bar to look at the chef, and chat with him.
    So I order my sushis from him, and he hands them to me directly from the counter.
    The waitress "only" gives me my drinks.

So, when the waitress brings the bill, and if I pay by debit card, who gets the tip ?
    It would bother me if the waitress was getting it : she doesn't do too much...
    ( besides, the "rule" when someone only refills the drinks is about $2 / pers, not the 15/20 % "rule" ) ( at least that's what I read on some " Tipping 101 " websites ! )

Thank you for your thoughts in this matter !
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Mar 27, 2006, 02:30 PM
    A lot of times the chefs don't get tips, as they are paid differently as waitresses are paid minimum wage + tips and depend on their tips. I would say you give her the tip for the drinks portion on the debit card, and then give the chef a cash tip if applicable but in my understanding at a sushi bar, they normally will not accept it. Whenever I go to a sushi bar, I just take 15% of the entire tab for the tip. It's up to you if you want to do it this way :)
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2006, 02:41 PM
    You'll find that every restaurant it different as to whether the waitresses tip out the chefs, dishwashers, busers, etc.

If you feel strongly about making sure the chef gets the tip, bring cash and tip him/her directly.

If the waitress doesn't do enough to deserve much of a tip, you should still tip at leats 8%. Typically, waitresses are taxed assuming that they get tipped 8% of their bill. So, if they get less than an 8% tip, it is actually costing the waitress money for her to ring in that bill.
    Catseyes Posts: 51, Reputation: 5

Mar 27, 2006, 02:47 PM
    Thanks Cgirl.

Last time I went there, I put the waitress 15% ( card ), and 5% in cash for the chef in his "tips jar". I like to tip him, because he is the one doing all the work when someone seats at the bar.
    Besides, he adds sushis for free, because I am a regular!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tipping etiquette [ 14 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, I went to a hair salon and had my hair straightened.. I paid $300 plus $70 tip.. 3 days later my hair was wavy again so I had the stylist re-do it . She didn't charge me for the service again but she did charge me for the hair supplies which came to $25.00. Should I have tipped...

View more questions Search