Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2008, 05:10 PM
    Teaching old dog new trick
    Hello! I have a 2.5 year old American bulldog/ lab mix dog.
    We have old furniture now and he has been allowed to be on it. He has a pretty good fear of getting his nails cut - so much so, he needs to be tranquilized to do it. So, his nails are always in need of a trim.

Anyway...

I am getting new leather furniture on Friday and we want to keep the dog off it.

I had an idea of taking one of the old cushions off and keeping it (for a while) for him to use a bed while in that room.

Do you think it would work? Do you have any other suggestions of how to keep this dog off the new furniture?

Thanks A lot!
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Jul 7, 2008, 05:25 PM
    The best way to train your dog to stay off the new couch is to reward him. Saving an old cushion will help because it will give you a place to tell him to sit/lay, and then you can reward him when he complies.

However, he has a long ingrained habit of getting up on the couch, and he's likely to try it the minute your back is turned. I would start NOW (don't wait until the new couch arrives) with the retraining. I would also have a plan in place for what you are going to do with the dog when you aren't in the same room as the couch. For the first few weeks you simply can NOT leave him in the room alone. He needs lots of practice staying off the couch (and being rewarded) while you are there to monitor the situation before you can rely on this new behavior sticking even when you aren't in the room.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Some trick I no. [ 2 Answers ]

EASY: A trick I know is take any coin, take it in your right index finger and thumb, put your left hand over it with your nails facing out, so it looks like your going to grab it with your left hand BUT drop the coin into your right hand and close it, bring your right hand down to your side, but...

Trick Answer [ 7 Answers ]

A fishing boat is lying in the harbour. There is a rope ladder hanging over the side with its end touching the water. The rungs of the ladder are 1 metre apart and the tide is rising at 50 centimetres an hour. At the end of 6 hours, how many of the rungs will be covered?:confused:

Trick Or Treat? [ 4 Answers ]

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q134/asdat/azk9-ahalloweenmorph2.gif http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q134/asdat/rftg.jpg Trick Or Treat?!!

How to on this magic trick [ 10 Answers ]

I was bored one day and decided to look on YouTube at some magic tricks. I found this guy, and I was wondering how this trick was done. http://www.youtube.com/v/-MLPS9Zq2nM It's about 8 minutes long and mostly in Japanese, but you don't really need to know what they're saying. Any insight...

View more questions Search