Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nivy2 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2008, 03:09 PM
    Drywall repair
    I have a problem with 2 to 3 drywall seams on my ceiling. The seams open slightly creating unsightly cracks especially in colder weather. I've tried simply applying joint compound but eventually the seams open again. In the heat of Summer the seams close up. What can I do to eliminate this problem?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 7, 2008, 03:27 PM
    Did you use tape when you repaired the cracks?

Jul 7, 2008, 03:37 PM
    No, could it be that the installer never used tape to begin with? Is there a fiberglass based tape for this type problem?

Jul 7, 2008, 04:31 PM
    You must use tape over a crack. The joint compound is granular and has no strength to resist cracking. The paper tape is fine, has been used for years. The fiberglass mesh is stronger I agree, but is it needed? I like the mesh for repairs however, not for its strength but because you can have less build up. With the paper tape you put on some joint compound then put up the tape, then more joint compound. With the mesh you stick it to the surface and coat with joint compound which bonds to the tape and the surface beneath. Just one less coat that you have when trying to feather the repair out.
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Jul 7, 2008, 05:21 PM
    I agree with hkstroud, however are the cracks due to the seam butts not joining together and paper tape not being applied to begin with? Or is this due to some kind of damage?

If it wasn't installed correctly, watch for cracks on the lateral side of the sheet. If damaged, then the repair work should work fine.

Jul 8, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBaAd
    I agree with hkstroud, however are the cracks due to the seam butts not joining together and paper tape not being applied to begin with? Or is this due to some kind of damage?

If it wasn't installed correctly, watch for cracks on the lateral side of the sheet. If damaged, then the repair work should work fine.

Thanks for your help

Jul 8, 2008, 12:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    You must use tape over a crack. The joint compound is granular and has no strength to resist cracking. The paper tape is fine, has been used for years. The fiberglass mesh is stronger I agree, but is it needed? I like the mesh for repairs however, not for its strength but because you can have less build up. With the paper tape you put on some joint compound then put up the tape, then more joint compound. With the mesh you stick it to the surface and coat with joint compound which bonds to the tape and the surface beneath. Just one less coat that you have when trying to feather the repair out.

Thanks a lot for your help, think I'll go with the mesh
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2008, 01:02 PM
    Mesh can be a bit harder to work with because you have to feather it out over a larger area.

Make depressions along the seam in question for the tape, so you don't have to do this. Drywall is tapered and therefore taping is much smoother.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 8, 2008, 06:05 PM
    I agree that the wider mesh would be the better fix but it seems that your home is moving a bit more than most. Have you looked into any possible causes?

Jul 8, 2008, 06:54 PM
    Drywall does not move with changes in humidity or temperature. Wood however does. I noted that nivy2 said that the cracks seem to open in the winter and close in the summer. Nivy2 didn't seem to be sure and since I can't see just how large the cracks are I don't know how to evaluate that statement. Right now it appears that the cracks are reappearing because the repairs were not done properly. They could just be settlement cracks and only need to be properly repaired. The only way that I can account for movement is that if the different sheets of drywall are attached to different pieces of wood. This should occur only if an additional joist was for some reason sistered to the original joist and one piece of drywall attached to one joist and the other attached to the other joist. Then you could have movement in the drywall.

Nivy2

I should have include in the repair directions, to nail or screw the drywall to the ceiling joist on both sides of the crack about every 12" to insure that the drywall is securely attached before applying tape and mud.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 9, 2008, 10:50 AM
    Harold, I agree about the wood moving. In some homes poor insulation and moisture barriers allow the entire framework of the home to expand and contract with temperature fluctuations and changes in humidity. My guess this house has some of both issues going on. Bob
    SnakeBite Posts: 68, Reputation: 4

Jul 25, 2008, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nivy2
    I have a problem with 2 to 3 drywall seams on my ceiling. The seams open slightly creating unsightly cracks especially in colder weather. I've tried simply applying joint compound but eventually the seams open again. In the heat of Summer the seams close up. What can I do to eliminate this problem?
    There could be a structure problem. Throughout my experiences, cracks always come back, whether fixed with paper or mesh tape (its just a matter of when.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drywall [ 6 Answers ]

My home is about 25 years old. Recently I've noticed that the drywall screws seem to be coming out. There's small bumps in the drywall where the screws are. In one room, the opposite is happening. Instead of bumps, I have small depressions around the screws. Is this situation serious and what...

Another one about drywall. [ 2 Answers ]

So I paid someone to finish my drywall. He "completed" the job while I was at work, so I didn't get a chance to look at it. When I got home I noticed that he had only sanded with 100 grit paper, and there are sanding lines everywhere! Is this standard practice? I have always used 220 grit, and...

Repair wet drywall in ceiling [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, We have a leak in our bathroom and it was messed up the drywall ceiling downstairs. What do I need to do? Thanks

Drywall Hole Repair [ 1 Answers ]

:eek: Help- I have repaired holes in drywall before. This one puzzles me. I wanted some advice before I attempted to fix it. We were trying to put up a decorative shelf. We have it perfectly measured and need to place the shelf at a certain place in the room. The shelf kit came with a...

Ceiling drywall repair question [ 3 Answers ]

Hello to all and thank you in advance if you can help me. I am about to try to repair a 2 foot crack in my drywall ceiling. It was caused by someone( OK me) stepping on it from the attic. There is no hole or actual gap but the drywall was displaced slightly(has a bulge and has an incomplete...

View more questions Search