Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashley568 Posts: 34, Reputation: 3

Jul 7, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Land Account Increase
    Belle Company buys land for $50,000 on 12/31/06. As of 3/31/07, the land has appreciated in value to $50,500. On 12/31/06, the land has an appraised value of $51,800 By what amount should the Land account be increased in 2007?

I'm not asking for the answer to the question but I do not understand the question itself. If you could help me to understand the question I would greatly appreciate it.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2008, 12:21 AM
    They're trying to see if you understand whether the appreciation of the land and/or if the appraised value of the land will affect the cost the land is recorded on the books. So, do they? (I can't answer without knowing where you are. The way it's asking the question makes me wonder if you're outside the U.S.)
    ashley568 Posts: 34, Reputation: 3

Jul 8, 2008, 02:00 AM
    No I'm in the US. It was a question for my Final Exam (I go to school online) It was a multiple choice test and I put 1,300. I just took a stab at because I didn't even know how to start this one. Think I was right? I just don't see how it can be 50,500 in 2007 but 51,800in 2006... I couldn't get my head around it.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2008, 02:09 AM
    I can't tell you if you're rigth because the rules could be different wherever you are. What I can tell you though is that by saying the land "appreciated," they may not be referring to the same thing as that appraised value. It did appreciate from the original cost. And that may be a market price, whereas the appraised value could be different. (Or of course, someone could have screwed up the problem.) Do you record at cost? If so, then it's on the books at the $50,000. It would then be a matter of whether you'd record the appreciation or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Asset account and its contra account balance is called? [ 2 Answers ]

I was unable to fined the answer to this question in my learning material. Thank you in advance for any help with this question.:)

Bank account seized. Received nationwide checks for claim (in account) can these be e [ 2 Answers ]

Small claims ct. seized bank account. Want to vacate nationwide claim checks for house repair from storm and vandalizim (can these be exempt funds?)

Bank Account Levy, joint account [ 1 Answers ]

Today, a levy was placed on the joint account of myself and my wife, for a debt she had from a credit card company. Once I found out, I called her and had her call the lawyer, who then told her to dispute it, she would have to send a certified letter to the court, as well as the plaintiff, as to...

Will increase in pump intake pipe size, increase flow rate? [ 1 Answers ]

At my cabin I use a 12 volt Flojet pump to pump water from the lake to the cabin. I am using 1/2 inch plastic pipe for the intake and outlet on the pump. Would I see an increase in water flow if I increase the size of the pipe going from the lake to the pump to 3/4 plastic

View more questions Search