Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brister501 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2008, 11:30 AM
    Moving tropical fish
    Hi I'm thinking of moving to a different address quite soon. I have a large tank full of tropical fish and would appreciate some advice on how to transport them to my new address without killing them. The tank is a big one and very heavy so it isn't possible to carry it with any amount of water in it. I have moved with coldwater fish before and just put them in a bucket but I'm thinking that the change of temperature wouldn't be good for my tropical fish. :)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2008, 11:33 AM
    Have as much original water as possible for their transport, the more the better. There are also air stones that are battery operated. Use them as well. At the other end very gradually add new water to the tank. Hope the move goes well for you and your fish.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2008, 11:34 AM
    Yeah you can maybe get a large container and put some of water in it to carry separate and then add it back once you get there.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2008, 11:58 AM
    No Help - You're right about taking more of the original water. Didn't think of that - duh! The more of the original water the better.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2008, 05:16 PM
    Is it a short move or a long move?
    How long will they be out of their tank?

Jul 8, 2008, 09:47 PM
    They will be out of the tank for about 24 hours as I will need to empty the tank move it to the new place fill it back up and let it stand so the water get to the right temp:)
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 03:20 PM
    You can use a cooler filled with 3/4 aquarium water and 1/4 fresh clean treated water.
    Get a sponge filter that runs off an air pump and get a battery operated air pump.
    Float your filters bio-media in the cooler with the fish. This will be either
    Bio wheels, bio sponges, etc. If your filter only has debris cartridges, shake all
    The dirt and grim off them using aquarium water and float them - only if you have no other bio-media.
    Install the sponge filter, hook it to the air pump and run.
    Since there will be no heater during this time, keeping a room temp between 74F-76F will insure that the fish do not get too cold.
    Do a 10-20% water change if your fish need to stay in there any longer than 24 hours.
    When you put your fish back into the aquarium, put the bio media back in the filter as well and don't forget to acclimate your fish to the aquarium.
    Good luck with your move, hope it's successful.

Jul 13, 2008, 12:30 PM
    Thanks for the advice:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tropical resort [ 1 Answers ]

Hello My name is Dale and I am a previous business owner. I am currently looking for investors for a tropical resort. The resort is up and running. The is selling do to their health. The resort has an outstanding finance record. With my award winning team and my investors I will operate this...

The # of fish a fish tank can hold. [ 3 Answers ]

The number of tropical fish that an aquarium can hold depends on the volume of the fish tank. The interior dimensions of the fish tank below are 28 cm, 49 cm, and 52 cm. Each fish requires 10,000 cubic centimeters of water. How many tropical fish will this fish tank hold?

PARASITISM in the tropical rainforest [ 4 Answers ]

What are 2 examples of parasitism in the tropical rainforest!? HELP!!

Wholesale tropical fish equipment and supplies [ 1 Answers ]

Hi rick... I'm interested in getting information on wholesale tropical fish keeping equipment and supplies

View more questions Search