Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    20anonymous08 Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Jul 7, 2008, 11:14 AM
    Did I thaw the frozen chicken 'right' or should I toss it?
    Okay so my question is about thawing frozen food. I purchased some boneless/skinless chicken thighs. It said use or freeze by 7/4/08. I had it in the fridge for a few days until the listed 'deadline' came up. I was going to use it before then but didn't after all. So on the 4th I put the package in the freezer. I was going to make the chicken Sunday so I took it out of the freezer late Saturday night and left it in the fridge to thaw. Well it was still slightly frozen on Sunday so I took it out of the fridge and placed it on the counter for about an hour and something came up so I didn't get to make it and put it back in the fridge. It is still in the fridge now. Is it safe to cook it today? I never really understood the whole thing about properly defrosting and issues with getting food poisening. Any info on this subject is greatly appreciated. Should I just toss the chicken out and get a new package? Or is it okay to cook it today?

Would also appreciate info on properly defrosting, over thawing to a point that the food can come tainted. Anything about it! Thank you!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2008, 11:18 AM
    Since you took long to thaw it and had it out of the fridge it probably isn't good.
    Sure tell tale signs it is not good are

Bit of a bad smell,
    Doesn't look fresh or other appearance of not being good,
    Or feels slimy
    Then definitely toss it.

Generally I thaw meat as quick as possible or if I am not sure I will be able to use it immediately I leave it thaw in the fridge until I can get to cooking it.
    Back and forth from the freezer to the fridge to the counter to the fridge, etc is generally not good.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2008, 09:23 AM
    Throw it out - don't eat chicken that has been left out too long. It was good up until you left it on the counter. I usually don't thaw out anything but start cooking it frozen solid. That way I don't risk unnecessary bacteria in my meat. Thawing it out in the fridge is okay if it is thick pieces or a turkey. I don't thaw out steaks or chicken but just cook it a little longer. This way I don't waste food or get sick.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 8, 2008, 10:08 AM
    1. Don't ever thraw chicken by sitting it on a counter, ever
    Also don't thraw and refreese item. I would toss it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I thaw frozen pipes in a wall? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a frozen pipe in a wall. The pipe goes from the basement to the 2nd floor How do I thaw it without tearing the wall out?

Leaky floor after heavy snow and thaw [ 1 Answers ]

I have never had any basement leaks before, but today I went down to do the laundry and noticed water coming in in a couple of areas in the basement. I live in the Rocky Mountains and it is usually cold here in the winter but right now after quite a bit of snow it is getting mild. What do I do...

Keep him or toss him? [ 3 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend have been going out for 6 months. We tell each other "I love you" and everything was going great. At least that is until I found out he is constantly texting and calling another girl. She has a boyfriend but she likes mine, too. He tells her that he loves me but I know that...

Broken stereo. Do I just toss it? [ 5 Answers ]

I own a approximately 6-8 year old panasonic SA-AK200 5 disk changer stereo and ( its been used by my mother for the last 4 months) and the tape deck doesn't work now and it won't play cd's properly. ( if you skip ahead to song number 5 on a cd it won't play) and you cannot switch cd's (from 1 - 5)...

Coin toss [ 4 Answers ]

predict the probability of flipping 3 coins and getting all heads or all tails.

View more questions Search