Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    borodo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2006, 04:12 AM
    Slow d drive disc
    My computer isd slowing down too much
    I have 40% free space in the c drive and only 4% in the D drive
    I think I have to increase the size of the D drive to make the computer work better
    How do I do that
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2006, 04:54 AM
    Are these two physical drives, or is it one partitioned?

Also, when the computer's slow, the first things to do are run spyware, adware and virus scans. Have you done those?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2006, 05:22 AM
    HI,
    Also, what is your windows version, like XP, 98, etc?
    Thank you.
    qwertyman Posts: 109, Reputation: 15

Mar 31, 2006, 11:49 PM
    Good suggestions above. Also you might want to try and Defragment both drives.

It usually can be found under Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Defragmenter.

(Only in Windows OS)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 1, 2006, 04:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by borodo
    My computer isd slowing down too much
    I have 40% free space in the c drive and only 4% in the D drive
    I think I have to increase the size of the D drive to make the computer work better
    How do I do that
    The only way to increase the size of your D drive would be to use something like a partition managing utility to resize the drives. However, I do not recommend you do that until we learn more. You really gave us very little info to work on.

We need to know what version of Windows you use. We need to know the actual sizes of your C and D drives. We need to know whether its one physical drive or two. We need to confirm D is a hard drive and not a CD/DVD drive. We need to know what you consider as slowing down.

Please write back with more info so we can help you.
    borodo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2006, 07:49 AM
    Many thanks to everyone who chipped in
    My system is windows xp
    The size of drive C is 13.1GB and drive D is 5.5GB
    I believe it is one disk.
    The partition on C is NTFS while the partition on D is FAT 32
    I have run a scan with MSantispyware and done clean up and defrag without any noticeable improvement in the system
    I cannot defragment drive D because to do that I need at least 15% free space in the drive. I have only 4% free space
    Thank you for your attention and assistance
    Bmb
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 2, 2006, 08:23 AM
    Looks like you have only a 20G drive which is very low for XP. My recommendation would be to purchase an additional drive. Drives are pretty cheap these days. Once you get the new drive, you can move files from the D drive to the new drive.

CompUSA has a 200G drive for $60 (installation is just $30).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problem with Disc Drive [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, there. My Disc Drive (CD Rom drive, whatever it's called) won't open. I click the button that I normally do to open it and put a CD in, and all it does is flash a red light and not open. (truly irritating) My friend said there should be a hole to slip in something like a paper clip to...

I think there's something wrong with my disc drive [ 7 Answers ]

I have an averatec 3300 laptop and for some reason it reads some cd's and not others. It didn't really bother me too much until I bought Webroot Spysweeper and tried to load it on and my computer just doesn't even seem to recognize that there is a cd in the drive, and it's really frustrating me...

CD drive - Disc recognisation problems [ 12 Answers ]

Hiya. I've posted this on a couple of other forums, but I still can't find a soloution. Maybe you guys can help? This is what happens: When I start the computer, everything looks OK. If I go to "my computer", I see both my DVD and my CD writer listed, complete with contents. Any programs that...

Is this hard drive too slow? [ 2 Answers ]

Is a 4200rpm hard drive speed too slow for someone who is not really into gaming? :confused: I'm interested in the HP Pavilion zd8290EA with the following specs: Intel Pent 4(650) 3,4 GHz 800MB FSB L2 cache 2MB 1024MB DDR2 533MHZ 100GB HDD @ 4200rpm 17" WXGA 1440x900 256MB ATI Radeon X600...

Once I Have Made A Disc, Can I Make Copies Of The Disc Uncopiable? [ 6 Answers ]

Yeah erm, I have made a disc consisting of some word and excel files. I would like to sell this disc as it is interactive and can benefit people. How do I copy the disc so people can use it but cannot re write/copy it on their computer and sell it on? :rolleyes:

View more questions Search