Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    novice repair Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2008, 08:14 AM
    Craftsman 18 HP lawn tractor turns over but won't start
    I have an older (86-87) 18 HP Craftsman lawn tractor (917.2559101) that turns over really nicely but will not catch and start. In fact it sounds like the starter is just turning freely without any load on it. Someone told me they thought I needed to replace the solenoid? I know this is an old mower but it still mows well. I'm good at reading manuals and following directions, but the Owner's Manual for this mower does not go into the necessary detail. I've read many Q&A on this site but haven't seen my exact problem. How can I check the solenoid? What does the solenoid look like and where located? What else might I check also? This was my husband's lawn tractor but he died unexpectedly last Feb and I'm trying to get this thing going to use to mow. Any help appreciated. Thanks for your time. Lynnie
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2008, 03:11 PM
    Lynnie, your solenoid is fine if your starter is turning. Now, the engine turns also, correct?
    If so, remove the carb bowl and see if there is moisture or debris in the bowl. If so, remove the fuel lines, clean the tank, lines, and replace the fuel filter. Then add fresh fuel. But what concerns me is that you say it sounds like there is no resistance when turning. That could be a broken rod, or stuck valves. Has the mower set since last Feb?

Jul 8, 2008, 07:12 PM
    Thank you Mowerman for your reply. Yes the mower has set since Feb. (Well, I pushed it around in the barn to get it out of my way, but I doubt that counts :) How do I tell if the engine is turning over? When I try to start it that starter is whirling around there and sounds like faster than it used to. And I remember my husband saying that there was something wrong with the thing but I can't remember the details of what he said. I just didn't pay attention but I know he was planning to fix it. Anyway I appreciate the help. Lynnie

Jul 19, 2008, 09:28 AM
    How can I tell if the engine is turning over or not? Could something on the starter be broken and not 'connecting' with engine? Thanks in advance. Lynnie
    mike_s_junk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2010, 09:08 PM
    Ok the first thing to check is if when you try to start it there should be a flywheel, it looks like a big round circle, with mesh on it. It should be turning when you try to start it. If not then the gear on your starter is not pushing out before it turns like it should, one thing to try if this is the case, "your not suppose to try this cause you could hurt the starter" but... try to find a rubber headed hammer and give the starter a whack, this may jar loose the gear and it may pop out and engage to the motor and then turn the motor. If this doesn't help the initial problem then there is a good chance that your starter gear is still just stuck inside the starter housing. To fix that is a bit more difficult cause you have to remove the starter and then take it apart.
    Mowbetter Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2010, 10:36 PM

Do not whack the starter with a hammer! Doing so can crack the magnets inside the starter rendering it useless. Starters aren't cheap. If the starter spins freely, it's working. The pinion gear/assy that engages the starter gear to the flywheel probably needs to be replaced. You will need to remove the starter to perform this repair. Kits to repair should be available locally or try sears.com to order.
    spen0051 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2011, 02:37 PM
    Forgive me if I'm taking advantage of this forum but we recently purchased the 917.2559101 lawn tractor without the mower but with a pull behind tiller (eroded model number) and I'm looking for the user manual. I could get it to start and now I can't. Can anyone help? Thanks
    nazman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2011, 07:40 AM
    Need a manual for your tractor? Try Life Management: Everything just got easier - ManageMyLife.com
    Ralph Pereda Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2012, 05:14 PM
    Hi I have the same mower and it was working fine. Turn it off went in the house. When I came back out the tractor did not crank. It made a clicking noise at the solenoid. So I 1) serviced the battery in case I was out of juice. 2) I cleaned the posts with wire brush, 3) I banged softly on the starter in case it was stuck.

Still nothing. Any suggestions? Please help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman lawn tractor model 917270910 won't start [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman Lawn tractor model number 917270910. It will not start. I tried a new battery even though the one on it checked out okay. It will not even turn over. I replaced the fuse but the original looked fine. What else should I do?

Craftsman lawn tractor B&S 18.5 hp crank no start [ 7 Answers ]

Getting mower ready for first time use this year. It will make a revolution when tried to start, but that's it. Normal maintenance was performed, changed oil, plug, air filter, charged battery. Tried jumping the rider with my truck, same result. Tried jumping the starter directly, same result....

Craftsman lawn tractor-won't start [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Craftsman lawn tractor (model 917.271050), 15.5 HP engine. I am having problems getting it started. Here is what I have done so far: --new battery and battery was checked to see if it had full charge -- new ignition switch -- new solenoid

Craftsman lawn tractor won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a LT 2000 lawn tractor,3 years old I cut it off and it won't do anything, no noise when ignition switch is turned on I have 12 volts to the solenoid, I replaced the solenoid, still does not do anything Please help

View more questions Search