Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Doug Crf Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Mar 26, 2006, 10:59 PM
    Roommate confusion
    Good Evening,
    My husband and I have posted several messages in other areas that cost money to advertise in.We are looking for a military roommate who is about our age (over the party stage at home)We don't drink or do drugs and have a nice home that is comfortable.We are easy going and pretty much work a lot and are having no luck in finding a response. We have paid to use that site roommates.com (nothing but a credit card charge): Any ideas that might work would be appreciated (the rent is very resonable)
    Thanks Elizabeth and Doug
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 27, 2006, 05:00 AM
    Yes, unless they have a separate apartment, don't, having another person living in your home is a disaster ready to happen.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2006, 05:10 AM
    HI,
    I agree with the answer before mine, don't; if it's the same home.
    But, have you placed an ad in your local paper? Or a newspaper near your home or town/city?
    I wish you the best, and good luck.
    LeeAnnMemphis Posts: 58, Reputation: 6

Mar 27, 2006, 05:37 AM
    I have had excellent luck with craigslist.com for finding tenants, they also have a roommates section.
    Two years ago I got lucky and found a roommate off roommates.com, we lived together for 2 years until she graduated college, and we are still good friends. My boyfriend got a roommate in a similar fashion, the guy ended up stealing his identity and ruining his credit, making his life a temporary hell. So be careful.
    LeeAnnMemphis Posts: 58, Reputation: 6

Mar 27, 2006, 05:37 AM
    p.s.- Craigslist is free!
    CleverGirl Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2007, 11:51 AM
    If you are looking specifically for someone in the military- are you near a base or involved with a base (ie you work on one)- they usually have a bulletin board (either physical or online) where you can post your info...

CraigsList.org is also hugely helpful...

Get references. Lots of references - including past jobs... In our last rental our future landlady called one relative for each of us, one personal-non-related contacts, and one current job reference, as well as one past housing reference (previous landlord). You can also run a credit/background check but talking to people is much more helpful...
    DO NOT just talk to one reference and leave it at that... And also be sure to draw up a detailed lease with all the details about what is acceptable and what isn't... Make sure they read it before signing...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I Want The Roommate To Leave! [ 8 Answers ]

I live in the state of virginia and have a verbal agreement with a guy who is renting out my spare room. I never had him sign a lease agreement. He is just a roommate. Now I want him to leave. He is behind on his rent. His dog uses my house as it's own toilet. I walk through my front door and slip...

I am a new roommate and need help [ 5 Answers ]

My son and I moved from another state to TN. My boyfriend moved to TN. 2 months prior to us coming here. He had moved in with his roommate/tenant, which they have been friends for many years. The lease is in the roommate/tenant name. The roommate/tenant offered my son and I to come stay with them...

My cat IS on the lease but my roommate wants it gone! [ 20 Answers ]

I just moved into an apt 3 weeks ago. It's a 2bdrm roommate situation. The landlord let the other roommate advertise and choose the person she would be living with (me!). Her ad said "pets are allowed but need to be discussed." We discussed my cat and how attached I am and that I would only take...

Roommate needs to go [ 3 Answers ]

I have a roommate that has worn out his welcome with both myself and the landlord.I want him gone yesterday.We have lived in the house for three months (He moved in 15 days after me) And he has paid only one month rent.I live in Washington state and can't get anyone to give me some advice on how to...

Roommate issue [ 5 Answers ]

I have a roommate who recently is becoming difficult to live with and that's putting it mildly (long story which I won't get into right now. I lived in the apartment originally with my mother and grandmother and when they passed away (my grandmother first in '97 and my mother in 2000), I needed a...

View more questions Search