Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    electrikchik Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jul 6, 2008, 10:58 PM
    Tongue barbell sinking into tongue
    I got my tongue pierced just over 2 days ago and the woman who pierced it used a relatively short barbell. I trusted her judgement because she said she had been doing piercings for many years. I was happy that I could eat and talk pretty easily but the next morning it began to swell. Now, the top ball of the barbell is about 3/4 embedded into my tongue. I can't go back to the piercing shop for another two days because I'm out of town. What should I do in the meantime? I've been sucking on ice and popping Ibuprofen like candy. Here's a picture --> http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...k/DSC00027.jpg
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2008, 12:32 AM
    Go to any other respectable piercing studio in the area and ask for them to change out the jewelry for a longer piece.

Jul 7, 2008, 12:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by charlotte234s
    Go to any other respectable piercing studio in the area and ask for them to change out the jewelry for a longer piece.
    Is it possible for the tongue to heal over it completely? D:
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2008, 12:38 AM
    Yes, it can happen, and in that case, the swelling is too much or the jewelry is too short and it can seal in any infection if there is one present, so you really need to get a longer barbell, so I would say at least talk to a professional piercer and get their opinions ASAP.
    ladylovely Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2008, 05:10 PM
    For one, that scares me because i just got my tongue pierced 2 weeks ago, and yes it gets really swollen for about 6 days and makes it a pain in the butt for eat and wash your mouth out every 20 mins. But the piercer is obviously NOT.,,,,,, a proffesional body piercer because they ALWAYS use a very long barbell so that your tongue would have room for the swelling (cos it swells pretty big!!) then its all fine after. I really suggest you go to the closest piercer place whereever you are and get it changed toa bigger one or atleast checked out because you should not keep that in there like that! your tongue will reject it and you'll have a huge hole in your tongue! and it will be hugly infected for having the balls in your tongue for so long! SERIOUSLY DONT HESITATE to get it looked at!!! YOU should go sue that girl for being stupid! it's a very dangerous spot to begin piercing in the first place.. professionals should have their together!:confused:

Aug 21, 2008, 01:07 PM
    Well, I'm happy to say that the next day after I posted this, I got it changed for a VERY long barbell, then switched it back to the shorter one about 2-3 weeks later. Now it's doing just fine :)
    carla-jayne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2009, 01:37 PM

Have to say everyone's advice on this is really helpful... im in exactly the same position and wasn't going to do anything about it until I looked at the picture and saw the posts... mine is very similar! Definitely going to try get a longer bar tomorrow... although worried that the one I currently have is the largest :(

Mar 30, 2009, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by carla-jayne View Post
    have to say everyones advice on this is really helpful...im in exactly the same position and wasnt going to do anything about it until i looked at the picture and saw the posts...mine is very similar!! definately going to try get a longer bar tomorrow...although worried that the one i currently have is the largest :(
    When I went back to get mine changed, they used a barbell that's made for industrial piercings just to make sure it was long enough. It was HUGE. So you should be okay :)

On a side note, the woman who pierced my tongue is no longer working there :P
    amber.nicole Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2010, 07:05 AM
    I'm in the exact position... did they have to re-pierce it? Did it hurt? && what if they gave you the longest bar?
    rachaelt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2012, 11:26 AM
    This is happening to me I got my tongue pierced 3 days ago and the top of my bar is sinking into my tongue. I've been eating ice cream and ice but the swelling doesn't seem to be going down.
    rachaelt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2012, 11:28 AM
    Ye this happened to me after 3 days I still don't no what to do should I go see my piercer or keep eating ice cream x
    fishika Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2012, 06:06 AM
    Hey! I got my tongue pierced yesterday, and I think the barbell is too small. I asked my piercer to put in a longer one but he said the one he put in was the standard size. I want to get it changed to a longer one... how long do I wait? Should I wait for the swelling to go down and see if it goes down?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tongue ring digging into my tongue. [ 5 Answers ]

So I got my tongue pierced about a month ago; It didn't hurt much but as soon as the swelling went down The top ball started digging into my tongue. I know you're supposed to change it to a shorter one After the swelling goes down so I did. But now I'm not sure if it's digging into the top of...

Where can I find tongue spacers so I don't always have to wear a flashy tongue ring? [ 9 Answers ]

I love my tongue ring but I don't always want to wear and I have to work where I can't have tongue ring. Does anyone know any common stores that have them. Because I can't find them.

Too Much Tongue [ 8 Answers ]

I met this guy about a month ago; I was soooo attracted to him. When we shared our first kiss I wanted to crawl into a corner, and never come out. He had really bad breathe, and he used toooo much TONGUE!! I couldn't tell him how I felt because I don't like to hurt people feelings, so I stopped...

Tongue Piercing, white tongue, ulcer spot? [ 3 Answers ]

Pierced it 5 days ago. Situated in front of the pierced hole, there is what appears to be an 'ulcer' type looking spot. Can anyone shed some light for me please?:(

Tongue piercing ((barbell)) [ 2 Answers ]

My piercer told me to come bak in 2 weeks and he'll change the barbell to a smaller one for free... do you think if ii go back after one week he'll change it as long as the swellin is gone?

View more questions Search