Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    megaman87 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2006, 09:32 PM
    Why doesn't my dog like chicken flavor food
    I have a pitbull that only eats all kinds of beef flavor dog food and he doestn like chicken at all and I would like to know why is that is that a problem or is that just the way he is do you think that's a problem? Because whenever I bring dog chicken flavor food he doesn't eat it at all and it scares me cause I don't know what to do should I feed him only beef and lamb and rice or should I try chicken cause to me chicken its more nutrient than beef
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2006, 09:46 PM
    Virtually all of the commercial dog chows are formulated to provide the complete and balanced diet dogs need regardless of the main protein source, beef, chicken, lamb, venison, corn, etc. Most chows contain a dozed different things carefully blended to include every thing a dog needs. Your dog is much better off if you choose one chow and stick to it. The fewer types of protein a dog eats when young, the easier to work around allergies if a dog develops them later in life. If your dog seems to like beef, pick a brand and stick to it. Don't mess with changing food or adding anything to it. Remember, my advice is based on what I have learned from professionals over seeing the care of thousands of hard working dogs.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2006, 06:02 AM
    Hi,
    I agree with the answer before mine. If he doesn't like chicken flavor, then stick with the flavor he does like. He won't be missing out on any vitamins or minerals he needs. I don't like asparagus, but do eat other veggies. Dogs also don't like the taste of certain flavors; it varies with the dog.

As a dog owner, I highly recommend a video by Ceaser Millan, a Professional Dog Behaviorist and "people trainer". He has his own TV program, the Dog Whisperer, on the NGEO (National Geographic) channel, on Friday nights; sometimes other days. This video is available from:
    http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/

There are other good videos available on the web, but this one is really worth your attention. Best wishes.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2006, 03:01 PM
    As fred and labman have said, it may just be personal preference on the part of your dog. My dogs (I have 2 labs), only eat beef-flavored food all the time, and they are perfectly healthy. As long as you are feeding them a high quality pet food, they will be fine. In fact, as labman says, it's better for them health-wise if they have just one kind of protein... my vet has told me this as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Reheating chicken [ 7 Answers ]

Once you have cooked chicken and it is cool can you reheat it? QuEstBoy:p

Chicken pox or what? [ 24 Answers ]

Well, we have all been sick in some way or another in the last two weeks. I need an opinion of what you think this could be. All 5 kids were sick: 1 was vomitting, had a fever for two days, head throb for a few days, then she was fine. 2 started this whole mess, he had a headache and fever...

My dog refused to eat anything but chicken. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, My samoyed of 7 years, had glaucoma 3 weeks ago and had his left eye removed, a few days before the op to keep his strength up we gave him a whole chicken a day, and also a few days after the op, he now refuses his own meat although we have tried to ween him off the chicken, by mixing...

Chicken pox [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am pregnant for 4 months and never had chicken pox before. This weekend I am planning to see my teacher who's child has been infected with chicken pox. My teacher has not been infected maybe because she had it before. Now, I worry that my teacher might carry the virus (not infected by...

Can you ever get rid of chicken pox scars? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows hwo to get rid of chicken pox scars? Is it possible? Thank you

View more questions Search