Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andy1987 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2008, 07:04 PM
    Can garnishment occur when lease agreement is broken in Arkansas?
    Told owner of house we'd be a month late on rent so he evicted us instead. Now he has garnished checking accts which included a state stimulus check. Is this legal in the state of Arkansas? I was told there is no garnishment on lease agreements being broken. Thanks for helping. Andy
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2008, 07:17 PM
    He can garnish you for money you owe, and the lease agreement was that you would pay on time, not when you "could", so he can garnish you for the money you owe and evict you, yes.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2008, 08:33 PM
    "A writ of garnishment is a legal document that allows the creditor, under Arkansas law, to forcibly take from your employer up to twenty-five percent (25%) of your pre-tax wages. This means if, for example, you earn $1,000.00 gross per paycheck and normally take home about $800.00, then the creditor will take the first $250.00 of the paycheck leaving you with a gross check of $750.00 with taxes then being taken out as if you had been paid $1,000.00. This means that the garnishment will be more than 25% of your take home pay.

"In addition to the payroll or wage garnishment, the creditor can also garnish your checking account, savings account or other similar deposit account. Unlike the 25% limitation on payroll garnishment, there is no limit to the amount of funds they can take from your checking account during a bank account garnishment except that they cannot take more than they are owed. Most people are aware or have heard that Social Security benefits cannot be garnished. However, this is only partially true. Creditors cannot seize a Social Security benefit check, but once that check is deposited in a bank account and co-mingled with other funds, that creditors can seize all of those funds from the bank account." See: Weber and Phillips - Arkansas Bankruptcy - Garnishment in Arkansas

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lease Agreement Fee [ 1 Answers ]

How to write a breaking a lease agreement fee?

Lease not broken- but assigned a lease breakage fee [ 7 Answers ]

Hello all and thank you for reading, Here is the story: This May we moved out of our apartment and found new renters not only for the rest of our term (until July 31st) but until the next year at that time. We moved out and with our good faith we let the new tenants move in and start paying...

Information about breach of lease agreement and about breaking a lease... [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been residing in the state of Georgia for almost a year. I moved from New York, I had never rented in New York so this is all new to me. Here's the issue, Me and my husband signed a lease on July to this apartment complex, at the time we thought it would be a lovely place to raise a...

Verbal Lease after written lease agreement - Florida [ 6 Answers ]

I had a signed lease with my renter from March 2006 to October 2006. In September he failed to pay rent due to him trying to get his son from Social Services. We verbally agreed to extend the lease to a month to month basis and him adding an additional $50.00 per month to make up for Septembers...

Lease agreement [ 2 Answers ]

Can a 20 year old enter into a lease agreement in New York City

View more questions Search