Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richard Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2004, 09:56 AM
    Floors
    I removed linolium from cement floors and want to use plain cement without any covering. There is a discoloring in spots due to the glue.what can i put on the cement to remove the glue??
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 28, 2004, 05:51 AM
    Floors
    Hi Richard, There are a couple of things that you can try first, but you must be extremely careful about using them around sources of ignition like gas stoves/waterheaters, and electric motors including fan motors. I would try Goof Off first. This is available in most home centers. Mineral spirits is similar but you might try this too. I don't think that Citristrip would be the first choice, but you might give it a try if the others don't seem to work.

Don't forget your gloves and eye protection when using any chemical and open all the windows if you are using the Goof Off or mineral spirits. Check out Goof Off at http://www.goof-off.com/ Hope this helps. Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2004, 12:03 PM
    Floors
    Just how much glue is left? If there is a layer of glue that you can't scrape off, in addition to adding a solvent, you need to use something like lime to wick the glue up out of the pores of the concrete. Kitty litter or oil dry might be better yet. Otherwise, the dissolved glue is going to spread down into the concrete.

If there is very little material there, but a darker color, you might try bleach. Cover it with plastic or something to keep it from evaporating before it has time to work.

I fully agree with Speedball on being careful of igniting fumes.

You might also give up and paint the floor. Choose a light gray similar to the concrete. Use latex, the alkali in cement decomposes oil based paint. Thin it down, and you will retain the non skid texture of the concrete and avoid peeling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laminate floors and stairs [ 4 Answers ]

My brother and I are installing Laminate floors in a house and we are getting into the stair work now. The question is can we use underlayment for use with the laminate flooring and still nail it down to the stairs? Another question is it okay to butt the edges to the sides of the stairs that...

Refinishing floors-timeline [ 2 Answers ]

We just bought an apartment that is a converted office building which was re-done about 4 years ago. The floors are hardwood and I think they look pretty good but my boyfriend really wants to sand/refinish them. We are also renovating our small kitchen which also has wood floors. My question is:...

New basement bathroom floors/walls [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All, I am looking to build a bathroom in our basement. The room will be positioned right next to the sewer line which exits just above the concrete floor. We have a drain pipe in place for a toilet and have to begin framing the floor and walls. The toilet will have to be 9" off the concrete...

Squeaking Floors under Carpet [ 1 Answers ]

My floors (2nd) floor)are squeaking under the carpet, I'd rather not pull up the carpet to fix. What can I do. It's very annoying

Refinishing floors [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting ready to refinish some stairs. I was planning on using polyurathane. I have been told that the water based version is better. Any thoughts? What are the pros and cons of both.

View more questions Search