Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gottabme Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2008, 05:34 PM
    Calculate Income Taxes on Income Statement
    Income Statement Preparation

I was provided the following information and would like to know how I can figure out the Income taxes (30% of income before taxes)
    Accounts Payable: 35,000
    Accounts Receivable: 65,000
    Advertising Expense: 15,000
    Cash: 19,500
    Supplies Expense: 46,000
    Rent Expense: 10,000
    Utilities Expense: 3,000
    Income Taxes (30% of Income before taxes): ???
    Miscellaneous Expense: 4,400
    Owner's Equity: 140,000
    Salaries Expense: 61,000
    Fees (revenues): 384,000
    justme8 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2008, 05:40 PM
    To figure the income (at a rate of 30%) you need to figure out your Costs/expenses and subtract them from all the income (accounts receivable and the cash) and then you come up with a profit --- multiply that by .7 (which is 1 minus .3) and that will be your gross income. The taxes are the profit multiplied by .3 (and taxes are an expense)
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2008, 12:18 AM
    First, accounts receivable and cash are not income. They are assets. (Not to mention that costs are not necessarily the same thing as expenses, so please don't state it that way.)

But it is correct that you need to find your revenues and then find your expenses, and subtract expenses from revenues.

Second, there is no need to multiply by .7. That's going to give you the net income after taxes have been subtracted. (Not gross income.) But you need to get the taxes anyway, so figure that out, and then subtract from income before tax if you need net income. The 70% is the net income that's left over after the taxes, not gross.
    schlimmste Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2014, 03:57 PM
    I have no idea what kind of accounting you learned, because firstly, Accounts Receivable and Cash go on the Balance Sheet, and secondly, there's no need to multiply by 0.7 at all. Why. What did you learn that tells you this?

Income tax is calculated after all expenses (including the Cost of Goods Sold) have been deducted from all revenues. So it's: [(0.30)*(operating income) = Income tax expense] Then you subtract this total from the Operating Income to receive your Net Income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cash basis income statement vs. Accrual basis income statement [ 5 Answers ]

What is the difference between a cash-basis income statement and an accrual-basis income statement? For example, how would I record a cash basis income statement for April, May, and June, if the company started in April? HELP!

Multiple-step income statement in good form and retained earnings statement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I would like someone to check to see if I did this correctly, if I did not then please help. Thanks The Problem is: The following pretax amounts pertain to River Corp. for the year ended December 31, 2008. Sales... $400,000 Operating Expenses... 84,000 Extraordinary gain... 30,000...

How to detemine net income without an income statement [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to figure out how to detemine net income if you don't hae an income statement? With this question there are a couple of insites that need to be stated. While trying the find the net income you are not given revenue or expense amounts? Is it possible to find the net income under these...

Does the Income Summary Balance go to Income Statement [ 3 Answers ]

I am doing a 10 column worksheet and I have a credit $ amount in the Income Summary account in the Adjusted Trial Balance. Do I move that to the Income Statement or the Balance Sheet section of the worksheet?

2006 taxes: F-1 OPT Income & Foreign Income [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a somewhat complicated question about my 2006 taxes... I came to the US in 2001 on a student visa (F1). After I finished my degree I worked one year under OPT, and I left when my OPT/visa expired in May 2006 and went home to my native country and got a job there. So basically I...

View more questions Search