Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScotNJax Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2008, 04:11 PM
    Vlookup formula
    I am currently using MS-Excel 2003. Having a terrible time with Vlookup. The concept seems easy enough – but I can’t get it to work with just 2 spreadsheets – and pulling only 1 column from the other spreadsheet.

I have these fields on one spreadsheet.

Worksheet Tab 1 Worksheet Tab 2
    PROFESSION Zip Code
    LIC_ISSUE_DTE Area of Town
    LIC_NBR
    LIC_STATUS
    NAME
    ADDRESS
    ADDRESS_LINE2
    CITY
    STATE
    ZIP
    Area of Town
    COUNTY
    PHONE_NUMBER
    EMAIL

I want to pull in the “area of town” from Tab 2 into Tab 1 with a look up – and I keep getting error messages.
    justme8 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2008, 05:04 PM
    If "Area of Town" info is on line K23 (for example), then where you want to put it (on Tab 1), you would click and type =name!K23

Name is the name of the Tab 2 sheet
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jul 6, 2008, 09:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotNJax
    I am currently using MS-Excel 2003. Having a terrible time with Vlookup. The concept seems easy enough – but I can't get it to work with just 2 spreadsheets – and pulling only 1 column from the other spreadsheet.

I have these fields on one spreadsheet.
    Code:
    Worksheet Tab 1	Worksheet Tab 2
    PROFESSION	Zip Code
    LIC_ISSUE_DTE	Area of Town
    LIC_NBR	 
    LIC_STATUS	 
    NAME	 
    ADDRESS	 
    ADDRESS_LINE2	 
    CITY	 
    STATE	 
    ZIP	 
    Area of Town	 
    COUNTY	 
    PHONE_NUMBER	 
    EMAIL
    I want to pull in the “area of town” from Tab 2 into Tab 1 with a look up – and I keep getting error messages.
    Hmm, first use CODE tags around your example like I did to get them line up properly.

Now, VLOOKUP has some pretty specific uses. If you have a table on one table with several columns of VARYING data, you use VLOOKUP to spot a variable in one column and return an associated value from the same row but in another column. Make sense?

I don't think that's what you're doing. If you're just asking for data from one specific cell appear in another sheet as well automatically, that really IS just a basic reference, like Justme suggested.

Is this is the case? If so, then say that these are your fields as shown in the pic below. On tab 2, to get the ZIP code to appear on a the formula would be =Sheet1!B10.

To get the Area of Town to appear, the formula would be =Sheet1!B11
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sum multiple Vlookup results [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Is there a function that can sum multiple Vlookup results? I hate doing this to sum 3 Vlooukup results: =VLOOKUP($I3,AFFINITY,7,FALSE)+VLOOKUP($I3,AFFINITY,8,FALSE)+VLOOKUP($I3,AFFINITY,9,FALSE) Thanks, Gen

Excel vlookup and auto start macro [ 1 Answers ]

I've set up a vlookuop. I want to retrieve a blank value. Lookupup code is the number 1 and the value for one is blank. At one point it worked fine and now it won't. I've set up a main menu in excelfor excel worksheets in a workbook. When I bookmark a worksheet I would like a macro to autostart...

Limitations of VLOOKUP [ 3 Answers ]

I have a column of values that can't be put in ascending order. 20 55 3 61 2 etc. I want to lookup another value that corresponds to each of these numbers.

View more questions Search