Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dallas214 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2008, 01:00 PM
    Auto insurance
    Can I still get insurance for my car (but my license are suspended)so I can get my regerstration sticker
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2008, 01:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dallas214
    can i still get insurance for my car (but my license are suspended)so i can get my regerstration sticker

Call an agent who represents multiple lines - but I don't think so. Even if they write the insurance the next question is why would you register the car when you clearly won't be driving it (or so they hope) and who would be driving it and what is their driving history.

I say, no, you can't.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 6, 2008, 02:20 PM
    There are a few of the higher risk insurance companies that will insure you, at least in a few of the states I know, some advertise about insuring illegal immigrants with no license ( so they will not be arrested for no insurance) Normally gettingit registered has nothing to do with drivers license.

But of course since it is illegal to drive without license, ( for example GA has just passed 2 days in jail for first offense. Who is going to be driving the car.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2008, 03:31 PM
    Being able to register your car really has nothing to do with insurance. However, once your car is registered, you are required to maintain insurance on it in order to avoid fines from the DMV.

But as Chuck said, why are you insuring a car that [hopefully] you will not be driving? When you apply for insurance the first thing asked for is a driver's license number in order to run a motor vehicle report (to check for tickets, accidents, and other violations). Most of your larger companies will not offer insurance to someone whose license is suspended.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2008, 03:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikosmom
    Being able to register your car really has nothing to do with insurance. However, once your car is registered, you are required to maintain insurance on it in order to avoid fines from the DMV.

But as Chuck said, why are you insuring a car that [hopefully] you will not be driving?? When you apply for insurance the first thing asked for is a driver's license number in order to run a motor vehicle report (to check for tickets, accidents, and other violations). Most of your larger companies will not offer insurance to someone whose license is suspended.

I don't know about other States but in NYS you cannot register a car in your name without proof of current insurance, also in your name - you don't register first and provide proof of insurance/get insurance/keep insurance second.

Obviously it's different in other places. How does it work in other States?

What State is OP in?
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2008, 04:53 PM
    Right Judy, I think I misread/misunderstood the post.

Dallas, you DO need valid insurance first in order to register your car and you won't be able to get that without a valid license. But the question remains, why are you registering a car that you can't drive [legally]?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New auto insurance [ 6 Answers ]

I've been driving for two years now but only as an additional driver on my aunt and uncle's so my car insurance has been reasonably priced. But now I'm looking into buying a new car and even with all of the possible discounts my current insurance company (state farm) wants to nearly double that...

Auto Insurance [ 16 Answers ]

For someone that is 22 year-old, is having his the last semster in college ( Won't be a student after this semester)... what is the best auto insurance package? Is that a good idea to be part of my parents' policy? Can he still be part of his parents' policy? What will happen after he graduates in...

Auto Insurance [ 3 Answers ]

My 2007 Toyota Avalon was hit by another driver, and the damage is going to be above $5000. Would it be a good idea to ask for depreciation compensation? If so, how much. Thanks.

Auto insurance [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know anything about "aig" are they reputable? Thks noboat

View more questions Search