Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2008, 10:58 AM
    How long is "overnight"?
    I've made several recipes that call for soaking ingredients "overnight". This has always bothered me, since I don't know exactly how long that is. I mean, do I start the soak at 6 pm, 8 pm, 11 pm? And what happens if I want to finish the recipe at 9 am, or don't get around to it until 4 pm the next day? So even from the same starting times, the total soak time can be wildly different.

So, what do recipes mean when they say to do something "overnight"? I'd like to be able to keep the same times, but be a little more flexible about start/stop times.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2008, 11:04 AM
    It depends on what you are cooking, really. If you are soaking dried beans, for example, if they soak too long, they might not come out right in the dish you are preparing. Again though, that depends on the dish...

I usually shoot for 8 to 12 hours for "overnight".
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2008, 11:27 AM
    Yep, that's the issue... soak too short, and they are still hard, soak too long, and they can be mushy. And generally it's beans, tapioca, and dried fruit that I am soaking.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2008, 04:23 PM
    It really is a bit of a guessing game. Maybe someone else has a magic formula?? :D
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2008, 01:00 AM
    Storage and Soaking of Dry Beans

Have a read there describes all kinds of methods hope it helps.

I normally soak for 8-10 hours covered as the site suggests say put them to soak before I go to bed at midnight then there ready when I get up at 8am and I start the cooking process then.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 [ 1 Answers ]

Who would win between these 2. Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 My vote is for Oscar to win this time by unanamous decision.

How long until you feel "normal" again? [ 12 Answers ]

Hey - Just wanted to see (since so many of us have experienced the "break-up" before), how long did it take you until you felt pretty much like a normal person again? My ex and I broke up about 5 weeks ago (after 4 years together). I feel okay, not crying or anything in weeks, but I still think...

WE had a rough relationship, should I stay or go? "Long topic" [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, I don't really know where to start, all I know is that I just need some advice on what to do in a break. I guess I'll start from talking about me and my gal's relationship from the beginning. We had very different life styles, she has a very closed in life style where her dad is very strict...

View more questions Search