Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krissyg2991 Posts: 142, Reputation: 11

Jul 6, 2008, 10:06 AM
    Dog with an attitude
    Ok so here's the deal, my 22 month old Rottweiler/German Shepherd mix has a serious problem. She bites. Sometimes it's for play, sometimes she gets jealous but it is quickly becoming something that needs to be addressed ASAP. In the end, it is entirely my fault, because we've had her her entire life. She is the product of our Rottweiler's (who is incredibly sweet and has never had a biting problem) romantic rendezvous with a neighborhood shepherd. My dog was the leader of the litter and pushed around her litter mates. I feel like she never really learned any bite inhibition from them. Then, to make matters worse, I played rough with her as a puppy, without knowing that wrestling with her and letting her bite me was comparable to opening Pandora's Box. So today, she was getting very hyper and playful and bit me and her biting was getting progressively harder. I told her no and put her muzzle on her for a few minutes. When I removed it she snapped and put a pretty decently sized puncture wound through my hand.

When she's not biting she's a really sweet dog and I love her to death. I've trained her to do all sorts of tricks and she's generally well behaved except for this. I know that she's also in her adolescent stage when she thinks she's top dog and, if anything, it's that dominance I've been trying to counter. I just don't know what to do to fix my mistakes...

... any ideas?
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jul 6, 2008, 11:10 AM
    I would suggest a Halti(aka Gentle Leader). It is a quick and humane way to correct unwanted behaviour. You can even use it in your house just buy a cheap short leash and leave it attached to the Halti at all times(when you or someone responsible is present of course) and when the dog bites or does something else that is unexceptable pull the lead, this should quickly teach her what behaviours are exceptable and which ones aren't.
    Good luck!
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2008, 11:19 AM
    If you can afford it, I'd suggest bringing in a behaviorist. He can watch you and the dog interact and tell you what actions you need to change to bring the dog under control.
    sinedo Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2008, 11:51 AM
    It is a matter of who is boss or pack leader, you or the dog. Once that is established, I think the problem will end. Try walking the dog, and don't let it lead you. Stop, and get it used to walking next to you, never ahead. They love to walk with you, and will do what you want, if you persist, and don't talk to them. They understand signals and emotional vibrations, and are just as happy in the pack as they are pack leader, as long as it's clear.

Denis
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jul 7, 2008, 04:06 AM
    I would suggest watching one episode of the Dog Whisperer.
    krissyg2991 Posts: 142, Reputation: 11

Jul 7, 2008, 06:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rex123
    I would suggest watching one episode of the Dog Whisperer.
    Oh, I've seen dog whisperer and read all sorts of behavior and obedience books. I think my biggest problem is consistency: I do one thing--my parents do another.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pre-teen son with an attitude [ 6 Answers ]

My pre-teen son, age 12, already acts like a teenager. He is frequently disrespectful to me and more so to his stepdad (who has been there since he was 4 years old). Sometimes he acts like he doesn't love my husband, who loves and cares for us both. He smarts off a lot and answers our questions...

Changing attitude [ 3 Answers ]

OK well Me and my girlfriend aren't living together first of all and we are both busy people we have been going out for 14 months now and we spend most of are time together on the weekendsnow we have always had fun on the weekends and talked everyday usually at night. Lately though she has been...

Attitude changes [ 2 Answers ]

Hey as you all can see in previous post I am trying to grow and understand things in a clearer way so I turn to these post for advice. I would like to get any advice from ladies or even guys in a samular or same situations. My girlfriend and I have had out up and downs like any relationship. But...

View more questions Search