Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eddieChristian Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2004, 06:19 AM
    Shower stall installation?
    I am finishing my basement which has the plumbing for a bathroom roughed-in. Since the drain pipe for the shower is in concrete it cannot be moved.. I am worried about framing around it.

Is framing a shower any different then framing a door or window... just get rough opening?

If the shower is 30" X 30" with the drain in the middle, what should I allow when framing considering I will use tile and (I guess dryvit(concrete board)? )

labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2004, 08:01 PM
    Re: Shower stall installation?
    If you are doing a completely custom job using tile over the board, the dimensions are not that critical. If you are using a standard base, you will need to frame up to fit it. You may want to make sure a standard door will fit it. They are made to adjust some. Just measure the thickness of the board and tile and add them to the width of the door. Aim for the middle of the adjustment of the width of the door.

With the shower sitting on a cement basement floor, you may want to use pressure treated lumber for the plate. To help control moisture, use the water resistant wall board where you are not using the cement tile board. It should be color coded blue. Tie you walls together and to the floor and overhead joists securely. Any movement will crack the grout between the tile.
    mark lauzon Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2005, 11:21 PM
    Weird! Over a 1000 people have looked at this post... amazing!

Regards
    Mark Lauzon
    www.stoneadvice.com
    Slab fabricator heaven

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installation of a shower stall on a concrete slab [ 6 Answers ]

How is the drain of a shower stall connected to the ptrap that has been roughed in, in a concrete slab during new house construction to make a water tight connection? The ptrap is PVC.

Shower stall installation help [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently begun pulling up my old and cracked slab in the basement and I am repouring the concrete a section at a time. I have started at the front of the house and I will work my way back in 8 foot increments until I have reached the back wall. Following this, I will install a platform for...

Turning walking shower stall into bathtub/shower combo. [ 4 Answers ]

Question: Current shower drain (2" pipe) runs 5 feet, under slab, to vent stack (5" cast iron vent pipe) of toilet. Will need to move the drain 3ft to wall for new tub. After moving the drain, the complete length of the pipe will still be around 5 feet. We will have to reduce the drain line...

Help with shower stall installation [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I am going to change out my shower stall and my house is pretty old. I just need to know the basics on how to install the shower pan and is there anything that I should be made aware of before I tear out the old pan?

Tub/Shower Stall Installation [ 2 Answers ]

For new construction, should the plumbing for spigut, faucet handle, and shower head be installed before placing the tub/shower stall in place or after? Or doesn't it matter? Thanks

View more questions Search