Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    onamission Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2008, 09:18 PM
    Bankruptcy Dispute
    This question is for a friend of mine.

My friend had a bankruptcy 8 years ago and it still shows open on his credit report even though its closed.

He went and asked for an investigation with the credit bureau and gave them a specific date. Well he received a letter back in the mail saying they could not find anything to dispute. The reason they couldn't find anything cause they used a wrong date of course not the date they were given in the dispute letter.

Because the credit bureau used the wrong date is that enough grounds to get that bankruptcy taken of his credit report?

Thanks once again.
    TheCleaner Posts: 152, Reputation: 3

Jul 6, 2008, 05:46 AM
    I don't understand what happened really, how a BK can be "open". If you dispute a Bk the CRA is supossed to contact the clerk of court where yo filed originally an have the data verified. Just dispute it with the CRA as "outdated, too old to eport" and see what happens. Maybe you are talking about an account included in bankrrup ?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2008, 06:10 AM
    "How long does information appear on my report?
    A credit reporting agency stores information from credit grantors and public records, including bankruptcies, judgments and liens. Potentially negative information, such as missed payments and most public record items remain on a personal credit report for 7 years, with the exception of Chapters 7, 11 and 12 bankruptcies, which remain for 10 years, and unpaid tax liens, which remain for 15 years. A paid tax lien will remain for 7 years. Positive information may remain on a report indefinitely. Paid closed accounts generally display for 10 years. Requests for your credit history remain on your personal credit report for 2 years." Experian | Credit Report FAQ
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 6, 2008, 06:24 AM
    If the bankrutpcy is not showing final or discharged, they merely need to send in a copy of the final discharge paperwork, And is this a chapter 7 or a chapter 13, but in either if it has been discharged, they merely prove it by showing them the discharge paper work,

It will show up for 10 years, it does not drop off after 7 like other debts do. So if you are trying to get it off the report, that will be another 2 years.
    onamission Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2008, 10:11 PM
    Yes everything was final and discharged and all taken care off.

But when my friend found out that it still shows open on his credit report he contacted the credit burues with a specific date. The date that showed on the credit report cause he wanted them to correct it and report it as what it is which is final/discharged. But the credit place send him a letter back stating that they couldn't find any bankruptcy. Well the reason that they couldn't find anything is cause they screwed up and used a wrong date. So my question is to you all: Can it be taken off now since they made a mistake?
    TheCleaner Posts: 152, Reputation: 3

Jul 10, 2008, 04:47 AM
    I guess you can, if the bankrruptcy is not listed and happened 8 years ago then all the acounts inclued are to old to be reported, I wouldn't mention that bankrrupt anymore just dispute the accounts with the credit bureausas "Outdated, too old"

Carl

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SC Apartment Dispute [ 1 Answers ]

I live in sc. In February, I moved into an apartment with another girl and her son. I paid 60 less a month than she, and she explained it as her having a child, she should pay more. I thought this was quite nice of her, and it turned out to be she changed the situation from us being roommates to my...

Did not dispute within 30 days [ 3 Answers ]

An attorney for a junk debt collector sent me a letter (to my mothers home) saying I needed to respond within 30 days. Since the letter was not mailed to my address and said it was collecting a debt for a portfolio something or another I knew it was junk so I didn't respond. Now that attorney's...

Pay dispute [ 2 Answers ]

Can a single parent earn more if hired for the same job as a non single parent? And if so or not why?

Dispute Letters [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone point me to a good dispute letter to CA's? One that is in line with the system so I can try to get some answers. I know some of these collectors don't have the original docs to prove the account. Do they have to have the original contract where I signed? Also I was told in the state...

View more questions Search