Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lyhome Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2006, 03:52 AM
    F1 to H1B Dual Status Alien Tax
    Hi, Dear Atlanta Tax Expert,

I entered US as a student on Sept. 2001. I had income from Jan to May 31, 2005 as on OPT and income from June. 1 to the end of 2005 as on H1B. My husband is an international student holding F-1 visa but he does not pass the substantial presence criteria. We both come from CHINA.

1. Based on what I read, it seems that I cann't file as a dual-status. Is that right? The reason I am asking that I was trying to claim tax treaty($5000 decution under article20) if I can file as dual-status for that OPT part.

2. My income is about $10,000 more than my husband's income. Which do you think will be the best way to file as far as tax savings is concerned, file separately(I: resident, my husband: non-resident to claim the $5000 treaty deduction, and no tax on interest(1099-INT)) or jointly as both residents?

Thank you very much!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 26, 2006, 08:26 PM
    1) That is correct; dual-status does not apply.

2) Probably jointly, since you will then have a $10,000 standard deduction and possibly lower tax rates. But I cannot say for sure without income figures.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 to H1B Dual Status Alien Tax Question [ 212 Answers ]

I am on H1B from June 1, 2004. I was on F1 until May 31, 2004 on OPT. I cleared the substantial presence test on H1 visa and stayed around 189 days in USA on H1 visa. While I was on my OPT (F1) I was self employed and received a 1099 MISC (non-employee compensastion). I guess I am a Dual -Status...

Dual Status Return & Dual Status Statement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE: Just curious, which amount will be refunded to us if we file 1040 as Dual Status Statement & 1040NR as Dual Status Return? Or the total of both? Best, Jesslyn

F1 to H1B Dual Status Alien Tax Question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Atlanta Tax Expert, I was student in US since 2000 and in the middle of 2005 (end of Jun) I passed the substantial presence. I graduated by October and since then I am on H1-B. My wife is an international student holding F-1 visa but she does not pass the substantial presence criterion. I had...

Resident alien or dual status alien [ 3 Answers ]

This topic has been heavily discussed, but the concept is still not clear. I have been on H1 since January 15, 2005 (was on F1/OPT before that). I received a pay-check (approx. $1500) in those 14 days on 2005 that I was on F1 status. Since "I pass the substantial presence test for 2005, I am...

Am I Dual Status Alien? [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks your help. But I am still confused by my status for 2005 tax return. I came in USA on July 9th, 2001 from South Korea. I stayed all year 2002, 2003, and 2004 in USA. I am on H1b from November 1, 2005. I was on F1 until September 31, 2005 on OPT. I got this job on April 25, 2005. ...

View more questions Search