Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    americaneagle07 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2008, 01:44 PM
    Heel Stretch stretches?
    [F] Hey. I cheer on varsity competition at my high school. I am a flyer, [first year flying], and I need a little help on getting my left leg stretched. Naturally, my right leg is way flexible, but my left leg is not. I have to be able to do a heel stretch in the air, and I need good ways to stretch that leg for it. Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.

P.S. I can't seem to do it yet, and practice is in 12 days. So I need to try to get it good by then.
    Also, since its my first year flying, I'm a little nervous. DOes anyone have any tips on becoming a great flyer?

Oh and when I fly my ankle rolls real bad. What can I do for this?
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2008, 02:12 PM
    I can't find the link but I will try and describe it to you from here.
    You stand up, legs straight... touch your toes... get your hands flat to the ground with your legs straight, then while you keep your heels flat and legs straight, walk your hands forward, YOu will feel it as you go further outward... the main thing is to keep your buns in the air, legs straight, heels flat on the ground... head down so you make an upside down V shape. Tell me if it helps... go ahead try it now, it feels wonderful!;)
    Good luck!
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2008, 02:16 PM
    http://www.bikram.com.au/Postures.JPG
    I just tried 5-10 and it seems like these would be great too.
    On this next site, it is step 8 that I was trying to explain to you;)
    Yoga Exercise - Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar)
    Cheerleader/Dancer4life Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jul 11, 2009, 05:42 PM
    I'm a flyer as well. My advice would be to go into your splits and lean forward and try to make your stomach lay flat on your leg. Hold that for a minute. The best way to get flexible is to stretch for about 5 minutes a couple times throughout the day. Also, what helps me become more flexible is taking a hot shower to warm up your muscles and right as you get out, wear sweats (especially sweatpants!). Now would be the best time to stretch because your muscles will be warm and stretchy :) Another way to get your heel stretch is to take one of those stretchy workout bands and stand up straight with both feet together. Now place your foot on the middle of the band so that the band kind of looks like a U. Lean over and hold the two sides of the band about a foot away from your foot. Slowly pull the band up and towards your head. This makes the heel stretch motion without having to do much work :) (btw, if you don't have one of the workout bands, you can always use a scarf or something of that sort).

For flying, all you have to think about is being super tight and you just have to be confident. Think to yourself, "i can do this, what am i afraid of? i trust my bases and backspot!" Also, it helps to take deep breaths :) For the ankle rolling problem, just practice a lib, scorpion, any one leg stunt while your standing on the ground. Once you feel balanced, you can make it more difficult by putting a pillow underneath your foot. What helps me is that when you're in the air, pull your shoulder up!! It helps SO much with balance and ankle control. And remember, always stay tight! :D BUT, it isn't always the flyers fault. Make sure your bases really have a hold of your foot and the backspot has your ankle in a tight grip.

Hope this helps! And sorry it was really long haha

I'm a flyer as well. My advice would be to go into your splits and lean forward and try to make your stomach lay flat on your leg. Hold that for a minute. The best way to get flexible is to stretch for about 5 minutes a couple times throughout the day. Also, what helps me become more flexible is taking a hot shower to warm up your muscles and right as you get out, wear sweats (especially sweatpants!). Now would be the best time to stretch because your muscles will be warm and stretchy :) Another way to get your heel stretch is to take one of those stretchy workout bands and stand up straight with both feet together. Now place your foot on the middle of the band so that the band kind of looks like a U. Lean over and hold the two sides of the band about a foot away from your foot. Slowly pull the band up and towards your head. This makes the heel stretch motion without having to do much work :) (btw, if you don't have one of the workout bands, you can always use a scarf or something of that sort).

For flying, all you have to think about is being super tight and you just have to be confident. Think to yourself, "i can do this, what am i afraid of? i trust my bases and backspot!" Also, it helps to take deep breaths :) For the ankle rolling problem, just practice a lib, scorpion, any one leg stunt while your standing on the ground. Once you feel balanced, you can make it more difficult by putting a pillow underneath your foot. What helps me is that when you're in the air, pull your shoulder up!! It helps SO much with balance and ankle control. And remember, always stay tight! :D BUT, it isn't always the flyers fault. Make sure your bases really have a hold of your foot and the backspot has your ankle in a tight grip.

roxysacutie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2009, 03:43 PM
    To be a great flyer, DON'T be scared or nervous! One of the main reasons for flyers falling out of their stunts is because they're scared and they hesitate. Don't hesitate, just go for it! Also, when you're in the air, DON'T look down! Keep your eyes up the whole time focused on a certain point. The second you look down, the second you go down. Also, squeeze every single muscle in your body - especially your core and find your center. Once you've done that, your ankles won't roll anymore. Remember to keep your hollow body at all times, even when you fall... stay tight! It makes it easier on the bases for catching you quicker and safer for everyone.

When doing heelstretches, remember to keep your butt in and to keep your hips straight and forward. If your hip sticks out to one side, you'll fall to that side.

Hope this helps!
    all smiles Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2009, 04:30 AM
    I'm a base and one thing that is always helpful to us bases is if the flyer stays as tight as possible thus making you lighter, so we can control the stunt better. If your ankle is so bad that it is toeing on the dangerous side, wear a brace. Flyers on my team also practice pulling stretchs while balancing on cans. Bon chance!
    kaitibug97 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2009, 01:55 PM
    Hey my name is kaitlyn I am 12 I use to have the same problam.and this is what you need to do you need to only work on left leg and you need someone to help you you need to put your right heel against the wall and get your partner to pull your left leg as high it can go it will hurt but hold it for 2:00 minutes and if that doesn't work tell me but I am sure it wiil.:)
    cheerdiva Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2009, 11:53 AM
    I am a flyer for a high team and I'm almost 10 you can stand against a wall and have some 1 lift your leg as high as it could go trust me it works!!
    hayleyfroggy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2010, 04:00 PM
    I am a flyer for revolution all-stars in largo fl, and I also have the same problem with rolling my ankel, my coach told me to squezz my ankel, and the way to do that is to lift your toes of the foot your standing on, and keep your leg tight and stright, and to sqezz your but like you are holding something in you cheeks lmao! Haha that sound weird! Haha but it really works! Good luck
    ~hayley A.K.A froggy :)
    hayleyfroggy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2010, 04:01 PM

I am a flyer for revolution all-stars in largo fl, and I also have the same problem with rolling my ankel, my coach told me to squezz my ankel, and the way to do that is to lift your toes of the foot your standing on, and keep your leg tight and stright, and to sqezz your but like you are holding something in you cheeks lmao! Haha that sound weird! Haha but it really works! Good luck
    ~hayley A.K.A froggy :)
    cheerhard11 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2010, 08:44 AM
    I fly for Woodland Middle school, and Its also my first year flying, although I am the best one so far. All you do is like spot something on the wall and when your going up push off you're bases and squeeze as hard as you can. We say squeeze like there is a 1000,000,000 dollars in your butt cheeks ! Lmao ! Ha But it works, and for stretching what I do is I will do splits and stuff while I'm watching TV, I lay on the floor and get a scarf or jump rope... etc. and you put it in the center of your foot and pull as hard as possible... This has made me improve, hope it will help you :)
    dreamflyer2014 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2010, 07:04 PM
    I'm a flyer for an allstar squad, I've been flying for 2 years now and some people will tell you to to do splits and stuff and it doesn't work. Trust me I had the same issue with leg flexibility, my coach told me to kick my leg up as high as I can and try to hold it as long as I can. Do this about 10 times and do the other leg, then keep alternating about 10 times. Do 100 in all and then do splits and what not. This will really help with heel stretches because if you can hold a heel stretch without actually holding it, you can do so many more things, like a bow and arrow if you get really flexible.

And tips for being a good flyer.

One legs: when you go up push off your bases shoulders to help you stand up and you will stay up. Also, when your up there, squeeze your shoulders up to your ears and stay super tight, it helps so much, it makes it easier to pull skills, and it makes your weight feel lighter on your bases.

Basket tosses: when loading in stay on your toes, and keep your butt in your back spots face. You will go so much higher, and push off your bases shoulders here to get a lot of height. STAY TIGHT IN BASKETS.

Elevators/extensions etc.- basically the main thing is stay tight, push off your bases shoulders, keep your butt up when you load in. that's it!

And for your anle problem, I would ask your front spot (if you have one) if not ask your back spot to try grabbing your ankle when your in the stunts. I had the same issue and my front spot grabs my ankle now and it really helps. AND if you want to do it without them on your ankle, at home do your skills on the ground, it's actually harder doing skills on the ground. If you can keep your ankles from rolling in on the ground you can keep them from rolling in the stunts.

Well I hope this helps (:
    Cheer_xoxo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2010, 01:15 PM
    I am the captain on my varsity squad and I am also a flyer. I always tell my other flyers "you need to find a point on the wall and focus on it while youre in the air." it helps stabilize you and it makes you do so much better. Also NEVER look down. It will make you weak and top heavy and it will make you fall. My ankle rolls A LOT too but I get my ankle taped before practice and tell my bases to really SQUEEZE my foot. You would be amazed with how much it helps.

As for the heel stretch, if you haven't gotten it yet, stretch everyday at least 3 times a day. While you're doing homework or watching TV, sit in a split. Also at practices get your bases to stretch you by pushing your leg up and holding it there for a minute or two.

Hope I helped! (: good luck to your team.. and most of all have fun!
    PhoebeCheers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2011, 01:08 PM
    Hey! I'm a flyer too but I've been flying since I was 6 so here are some tips. A good way to get a great heel stretch is to lay down and put your left leg in the air. Then have someone hold down your right knee so it doesn't come while they also push down on your left leg. Have them push until it is painful then hold it there for at least 10 seconds. To go further you should breathe in then when the start to push your leg down breathe out. Do this often and it will really help. As for flying, I am a flyer as well and the ankle rolling thing might be the bases fault but if it is yours it's probably because your knees aren't locked. Make sure your knees are locked and you are extremely tight. Pretend you have a million dollar bill between your but cheeks and try to keep it there (I know that sounds funny but it helps). You also want to try to hold up your own weight by keeping your arms in a high V and pulling up and keeping your core muscles tight. If you're not holding your own weight as much as possible you will be too heavy for the bases and make the stunt look sloppier because it won't get up nice and easy and clean. Hope this helped!
    CheerFly02 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2011, 01:48 PM
    Im a flyer & the best strech to do for like a bow and arrow and heelstrech is to stretch out first and then get in your splits and lay ten second to the front ten seconds to the right and ten seconds to the left do this about 10 times to each side about twice a day and you will be very flexible!
    cheerluver19 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2011, 07:41 AM
    You grad a scarf or a rope, then put your left leg on it, cross it, sep over it with you right foot and pull back to your head, this will help with heel strech and with scorpion and scales. I'm a freshmen on varstiy and I have everything but a bow and arrow.. this will help greatly! Also to help your ankel... get a paint can and practice doing libs but as you are lifing your slef up stay tight and learn t control your ankel
    CheerChick322 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2011, 03:13 PM
    Cheer Advice, Im a Flyer too at My school and I don't have my heel stretch eihter. Stay in your splits for 2 minutes 3 times a day. ON THE GROUND... Just throw itt! And see how high you can gett! :) And STAYY TTIIGGHTT, Keep your hips in and... Be super confident!
    flyer4life Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2011, 01:44 PM
    I have this same problem too! And, I usually get my sister to put my left leg up in the air, and if my hips start to lean one way, I squeeze every muscle in my body to stay straight. I really hope this helps! If not, you can tell me! :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Achilles Heel Pain [ 2 Answers ]

My left achilles heel is really sore and I was just wondering if anyone know what I can do to heal it quickly, I have been putting ice packs on it and massaging it but it still hurts. Especially in the morning when I get up out of bed or when I sit for long periods. Can someone please help because...

Heel pain [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am a runner. I just had a baby 5 months ago and I ran through the whole pregnancy. I did a 10K race about 2 weeks ago and really pushed myself to get a good time. My problem is the run I did right after this race I noticed half way through it that I got a shooting pain on the inner part of...

Painful heel [ 2 Answers ]

44 years old Female 175lbs 5'8 I have been experiencing sharp heel pains on the right side of my left foot.

Heel Pain [ 4 Answers ]

I Have A Pain In The Side Of My Heel On My Right Side Of My Heel And It Is Killing Me What Could It Be

View more questions Search