Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robbie48 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Turn outside faucet 1/4 turn to the side so the hose won't be bent
    Can I safely put a pipe wrench on an outside faucet and on the pipe it is attached to and turn it one quarter turn to the side so the hose connected to it won't be bent and spray at the attachment?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 5, 2008, 11:07 AM
    NO!

Outside spigots are soldered directly to your water supply pipes. They attach about 1 ft. past the wall. If you try to bend the spigot, you will be twisting the copper tube and stressing the solder joint. To fix the potential mess, you might end up tearing down a wall and replacing the unit.

Please do not do that. As for the spray, make sure that the washer is inside the hose. If there isn't one, go to the hardware store and get one.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 5, 2008, 11:09 AM
    Not likely. You could only do that if hose bib is a threaded pipe fitting. That's only likely if you have galvanized water pipes. More likely that you have copper pipes and the hose bib will be sweat soldered. If it is a regular hose bib or sill cock you may be able to heat and reposition it. It may however be a frost proof one and the connection to the piping is at the interior side of the wall.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2008, 12:11 PM
    I agree with Harold, check your Bib the type is threaded or sweat type, if you can post a picture will be more help full, Thanks.

Regards,
    John
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 6, 2008, 06:15 AM
    There are two types of hose bibs. Sweat and threaded. If your hose bib's soldered on then forget it, but wait! You don't necessarily have to have older galvanized pipes to have a threaded hose bib. We stubbed out with a copper threaded male adapter that a FIP hose bib threads into. We installed them this way in case the homeowner ever had to replace them. If you have a threaded hose bib it's safe to give it a 1/4 turn to pick up the hose. Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 6, 2008, 07:31 AM
    You can also purchase "no kink" hose bib. Its threaded part is under different angle so it there is no pressure on hose.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2008, 08:29 AM
    Please click on the link below it may gave an idea that what type hose bib you got, like Tom and Milo says there are 2 types swaet and threade, Thanks.
    Regards,
    John

Brass U.S. Made Hosebibbs from PlumbingWorld.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Exterior Water Faucet will not turn. How do I get it to turn again. [ 2 Answers ]

I went to turn the water on in the back and it will not turn. How do I unlosen it? Thanks

Turn an electric dryer on its side? [ 1 Answers ]

To save space, I am hoping to stack my washer/dryer, but to reach the knobs on the dryer, I'm wanting to turn the dryer on its side. I cannot see any reason this would not work, provided I've built a good stand, etc. Is there any mechanical reason a dryer would not work properly on its side? ...

Shower faucet will not turn off [ 1 Answers ]

Faucet is mounted on wall and is for shower head only. This spring, after de-winterizing our boat, the shower faucet will not turn off the water. It is a one handle swival faucet. Thanks to anyone who can help. Barb

Dual faucet won't turn off or on [ 3 Answers ]

I just turned the water back on in an unoccupied house. All faucets worked fine except an upstairs bathtub. At first, the water flowed fine, but when I tried to turn it off, the cold water would not turn off completely. Then it would not turn back on to full force. The hot water turned off, but...

Water is always hot when I turn on the faucet. [ 2 Answers ]

I'm used to living in places where the water in the pipes is always cold. In my current home, the water in the pipes is always hot. I have to literally turn on the cold water and let the hot water run out. Does anyone know what causes this? I'm concerned that I'm losing quite a bit of energy...

View more questions Search