pratikrana Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2006, 01:44 PM
    Tax return for "married" with wife on H4 Visa
    Hi, I am in New Jersey since September 2004. So in the calendar year of
    2005 I have been a resident of New Jersey. I am on H1 Visa. My wife
    Came to US in May 2005 on H4 Visa.

I have following questions on filing tax return for 2005:

1. Am I a resident alien? Is my wife a
    Resident/non-resident/dual-resident alien?

2. Do I file as "Married filing separately" OR "Married filing
    jointly"? What are the benefits of one against the others. One benefit
    I noticed for filing jointly was that I can deduct my student loan
    Interest payments. Please note that my wife cannot work, cannot have
    SSN and has zero income. Does "Married filing jointly" is even valid in
    That case?

3. Do I need a Tax Identification No. for my wife?If yes then is it
    Applicable for both cases (jointly and separately)

4. In one of the previous posts, you mentioned something about June filing-First Year choice. How is it applicable in my case? Could you elaborate?

I'll be grateful if you can let me know the way I should file my taxes to get maximum tax refund.

Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 25, 2006, 11:41 PM
    Pratikrana:

1) You are a resident alien. If you file jointly with your wife (my recommendation), she will be treated as a resident alien.

2) You may file jointly with your wife, if, for no other reason, to double your standard deduction to $10,000.

3) Yes, she will need an ITIN. Download a W-7 from www.irs.gov, fill it out, have you wife sign it and attach a notarized copy of her passport to the W-7. Attach both to your joint tax return (leave your wife's SSN blank) and mail the return and mail it to the address on the W-7. The iRS will issue the ITIN, insert it on your joint return, process the return and send you a letter with your wife's ITIN. You can then file your state income tax return.

4) First Year Choice does not apply in your case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

One more "F1 to H1B - Wife on H4" question [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Before I put forward my queries, here is some background: Citizen of India 2003: F1 : Single : 152 days : Filed 1040-NREZ with 8843 2004: F1 : Single : 313 days: Filed 1040-NREZ with 8843 2005: F1 : Single: 104 days H1B : Married : 117 days Rest of time: India and Europe

View more questions Search