Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daehnolem Posts: 61, Reputation: 12

Mar 25, 2006, 01:40 PM
    I think my dog has a drinking problem...
    Our Basset Hound puppy won't stop drinking water when he has it available to him. It doesn't matter how much he's had, he just keeps drinking until it's gone, and his belly swells up like a watermelon until he pees it all out. How do we get him to stop? Thanks for the help.

-B
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2006, 07:49 PM
    Some puppies take a while to learn enough is enough. He should be able to drink all he needs in about a minute. Then take the water up for an hour. I guess you will have to impose the same schedule on Annie. See how the minute goes, and adjust it either way. I think water drinking cam become competitive too. "I need to drink all this water before the other dogs get it."
    daehnolem Posts: 61, Reputation: 12

Mar 25, 2006, 10:44 PM
    Thanks! That sounds like a really good idea. I'll try that and let you know how it goes. He's been doing sooooo much better at going outside to use the bathroom now that we have the dog door. He still has his days, but it's helped immensely. We also bought some Forbid from our vet, so he doesn't have that problem anymore either. Now we just have to make sure we keep our socks off the floor because he loves to take them outside to chew on them.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2006, 06:05 AM
    HI,
    Congratulations on finding something that works with the drinking problem. Just wait until he might decide to take a roll of toilet paper, pull it all over the house! Just kidding. Have seen that happen, too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My Dog Just Quit Eating and Drinking [ 4 Answers ]

I have an 11 month old pit bull male that I got a few weeks ago from a friend who couldn't keep him. He has been drinking and eating just fine until Sunday(7/24) when I was informed that he has not been eating or drinking the past few days. He isn't living with me at the moment but is over at a...

Flux & Drinking Water [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering how soon after having our house repiped we can drink the water? We were told to flush the lines "really well" to get the flux and solder junk flushed out. What does that mean? 2 days, a week? Please can someone tell me? Thank you!

Drinking and driving [ 6 Answers ]

My 19 year old daugheter got drunk and drove herself home. We have taken the car away except when using for work. What is a reasonable time to keep her from driving?

8 week old puppy not eating but drinking [ 1 Answers ]

I just brought home an 8 week old Scottish Terrier puppy from a very loving breeder. I'm not sure if he's just too young or what's going on. He ate the first night I brought him home and now he hasn't eaten in the past two days. He drinks plenty of water and is piddling but short of force...

View more questions Search