Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    holly_penyo Posts: 81, Reputation: 11

Jul 3, 2008, 11:07 PM
    Asbestos in a rental home
    I just moved to a 60 year old rental home. It is in good condition since it has been renovated so many times. It is also on an air force base. I'm pretty sure it has asbestos in it, most likely the insulation. When we moved in we were told about the places that contained lead paint like the outside doors and all and had to sign a form. I then asked the girl about asbestos and she had no clue what it was. I think she did. After all, this home was built in 1948.

So my question is are there any laws about a home that still contains asbestos in it. I have looked and can't find too much. Oh yes, the home is in Arizona.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2008, 03:57 AM
    Everything I ever heard about lead and asbestos is as long as it is undisturbed and in good condition it is not a threat.
    It is better to not disturb/remove unless there is a problem
    If it's in good condition and left undisturbed, it does not pose a health risk.
    If you suspect it is not in good condition, arrange for appropriate maintenance or removal by a qualified person
    A professional would have to inspect and say there is asbestos.

There is no law that says asbestos has to be removed. Only when the material can no longer be maintained in good condition, becomes friable, or the building is to be demolished or renovated may removal be the only option.

If you have kids it could be a concern because they can pick at things and put it in their mouth
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2008, 03:29 PM
    I agree with previous poster. As long as the material that contains the asbestos isn't disturbed, it's fine. There are types of old floor tiles that contain asbestos, exterior siding tiles - neither of which you should have if the home is renovated. Anything else that I'm aware of should be closed off behind drywall, up in the attic, etc. Not just out in the open where it could be disturbed.

What specifically is concerning you? What do you think contains asbestos, and what do you fear it's doing?
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2008, 03:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by holly_penyo

so my question is are there any laws about a home that still contains asbestos in it. i have looked and can't find too much. oh yes, the home is in Arizona.
    Sorry, didn't specifically answer this. Any laws or regulations I've ever heard of or dealt with concern materials containing asbestos that are being removed or disturbed in some way. The simple PRESENCE of materials that contain asbestos I've never seen addressed.

Try this link to the EPA's web site: Asbestos in Your Home | Asbestos | US EPA
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 4, 2008, 03:39 PM
    There is abestos in almost all older buildings, and lead paint in almost all homes painted during certain years. There are laws about notification of the lead paints, and laws about the removal and disposal of the asbestos.
    But the materials can remain in the home as long as not disturnbed.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Jul 6, 2008, 07:55 AM
    Air Force= Government does not have to abide by any rules/regulations regarding lead, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lien on rental home [ 1 Answers ]

If a county, tax collector's office, puts a lien on a rental home for failure to pay property taxes and sewer bill. What can happen to me, the tenant? Should I start looking for a new place to live?

Rental home is in foreclosure [ 1 Answers ]

We have been renting a house for a year and found out, not through the homeowner, that the property is in foreclosure. The NOD has been filed was filed 02/01/08. We have been paying the rent every month. Since the house is in foreclosure, do I still have to pay the rent? I need money to move. ...

Easement on rental home [ 1 Answers ]

I have a rental home that has an easement to provide a driveway to property in back of this house. The owners in the back lost their doublewide to non payment of taxes, was sold and moved out. There is no one living in the back there for 4 years now. Property was for sale, but the sign is down, it...

Summer home, used as a rental [ 1 Answers ]

We bought a cottage in July '06, we fixed it up and enjoyed it for 2 months... after Labor Day we rented it for 3 months in 2006 for $700/month... Our full payment (monthly) is $1400. What is the best way to file this in our 2006 taxes? Also, we have it for sale now and should make around $34K...

Foreclosure on rental home [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a rental home and I received a notice from a lawyer that the house is being forclosed on and that there are 8 claims against my landlord. I just paid rent for this month and am pretty sure that the landlord is not going to give me back my deposit. I moved in 2 months ago and have paid...

View more questions Search