Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Silverpetals Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2008, 09:07 PM
    How do I build a fund-raising website?
    I have this great idea that I would love to turn into a website. I need a website that everyone can access easily. I want people to have the ability to post pictures, and for there to be links that categorize them, for example the Red link would lead you to red pictures and blue link to blue pictures, etc... that sort of idea. I would also like for there to be a possibility for people to donate money for tree planting. How can I do that? And for there also to be a Chat room, a page where people can buy stuff, and for a certain amount of money to be sent for planting a tree every time someone visits the site. Which can be done with advertisement sites right? If I add advertisements I can be profited as well as send an amount of money for tree planting every time someone visits the website right?

Basically I want to make a fun website with a lot of interacting and fund-raising going on, and to make a profit out of it at the same time.

Where do I go? And how do I do this?
    Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 7, 2008, 12:50 PM
    In the most general of senses you will need to:
    1. Procure a domain name for your site (such as www.mysite.com) from a domain name registrar/hosting provider (such as GoDaddy.com).
    2. Procure a hosting package from a web hosting provider. Given the functionality you mention, you will likely need some scripting support (CGI, PHP, ASP, etc.) to create dynamic pages, database support (SQL, MySQL, etc.) to store donor data and picture management information, large disk space to store the pictures, SSL support & certificate to secure financial transactions, and some sort of merchant account support to accept donations by credit card/paypal/bank draft.
    3. Create all the website page content yourself or hire someone to do it and upload it all to your new site.
    4. Affiliate with an advertiser and place their ad links in your site content.

I'm tired just thinking about it. You have a lot of work ahead of you...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 7, 2008, 12:53 PM
    Fund raising AND making a profit? They don't usually go together.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 7, 2008, 01:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Fund raising AND making a profit? They don't usually go together.
    The question is best approached from an academic exercise perspective.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Jul 13, 2008, 12:00 PM
    If you had the technical chops to do this website right now, I think it would take you several months of hard work to do the research, put the infrastructure in place, design & implement the website, and do the search engine marketing work to get this off the ground.

If you don't have the technical chops to understand & do what Scleros suggested, you can either learn how to do it or hire someone. Plan a year for the study needed to put all these pieces together. You could start small and grow into it, but if you don't enjoy the technical work needed to do so it's going to get tiresome really fast. To hire someone at an affordable rate, I'd suggest RentACoder.com or Guru.com; find someone who has at least five projects successfully completed and a reasonably good rating from employers. Even if you find a good offshore developer I think this project would cost you somewhere around 3000USD to complete if you pay someone else (based on my own recent experiences).

The other option would be to find sponsors for the project who would fund it. Be aware that there are already a lot of other Flickr-like "picture" site out there, and you'll be in competition with all of them unless there's something truly unique about your offering. Just having a good idea on the WWW doesn't mean you're going to succeed at it these days.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who's raising the children and why? [ 19 Answers ]

Manabo's question https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/ethics/do-you-think-society-has-gotten-stupider-26589.html has brought me to another question. What are your beliefs on who raises your children? -who has primary care over the children -who's morals are our children growing up with -why are...

Need someone to build my website [ 9 Answers ]

I am opening a lingerie store online does anyone know of a good business to make the website for me> Thanks

501-c-7 fund raising [ 0 Answers ]

My social organization is a 501-c-7 tax exempt. We are going to hold a fund raiser and donate all the profit. Do we need any special permits?

How to build a website? I new but keen [ 10 Answers ]

OK I have been for the past year or so wanted to build a website and run a forum, unfortunately I have NO idea about how to do it and where to start I did try looking on the internet but everyone just refers me to sites that sell web space (which is OK I I knew how to make a site and wanted the...

View more questions Search