Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kalafior Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2006, 07:28 AM
    Question about the documentation of wages
    Dear Atlanta Tax Expert,

Thank you so much for your advice on my res. vs. non-res. Status as an F-1 student in the 6th year.

Right now I'd have only two more technical questions:

1) In addition to the work I did as a regular employee while on OPT (for which I received a W-2), I also did a small one-time job for just $200 for a different employer (the publishing house of my university). I received a check for that service at the time, but I have received no document (W-2 or otherwise) documenting that income. I know that I should declare that income on my tax return, but what do I attach to the tax return to document it? Should I write to them and ask to send me a W-2? Or would a different kind of form apply to such a one-time job?

2) My brother worked for two months in the US on the Work and Travel Program.
    His employer sent him a W-2, but without his SSN on it, even though he has one. Is he allowed to fill that in in the appropriate box by hand, or does he have to write to the employer and ask him to issue a corrected W-2 (which could be a lengthy process)?

Take care,

Michal
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 25, 2006, 07:33 AM
    Michal:

1) You will receive no documentation for that small amount of money. Should you report it? Yes. You can put it on Line #21 of Form 1040 as "Other income"; no documentation is required, and self-employment tax is not due for only $200.

2) Have him neatly print his SSN on the W-2 which he will attach to the tax return. Be sure he retains a copy of it.
    kalafior Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2006, 07:49 AM
    Thanks, ATA, but please note that I will be filing not 1040 but 1040NR-EZ (or failing that 1040-EZ), so which line do I put that small undocumented income? On 1040NR-EZ I guess it would be together with the other income for which I have the W-2, i.e. in line 6 (with explanation in field J)?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 25, 2006, 11:23 PM
    Your guess about where to put the money on Form 1040EZ is correct.

You cannot use Form 1040EZ if you want to report this income. You must use Form 1040.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishing Wages(Please help!) [ 3 Answers ]

I am from Wisconsin. I have a debt with a credit card company,(silly me, I let my ex boyfriend charge, with word they he'd pay me back), and they sued me. I went to court and excepted the judgement. The company's attorney contacted me and gave me a financial disclosure statement to fill out. I...

Garnishment of wages [ 3 Answers ]

How is a garnishment handled when 2 parties were envolved for one payment, can one person only be garnished for the payment due, what to do if they try to put it on one person:confused:

Garnishment of wages [ 1 Answers ]

In the state of Pennsylvania who can garnish wages

Technical Computer Program Documentation [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, There is a type of document that one creates in a programming company to document all elements of a created computer program. I remember learning that in high school but I can't find my notes. Does anyone know what is the structure of that type of document?? Thanks for any help lent! ;D...

View more questions Search