Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SusanBraun Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2008, 01:17 PM
    Owner is in foreclosure and demanding rent what are our rights as a lender?
    I need to know what are our rights as a rentals when the owner is in foreclosure and she never revealed to us we found out accidentally and now she is claiming that its OK and asking for the full rent.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2008, 01:43 PM
    You still have to pay the rent.

The owner being in foreclosure has nothing to do with the agreement/lease that they have with you.

Failure to pay, could end up getting you evicted, and sued for the back rent and fees.

Once the property is actually foreclosed, then you will have to look at the options that are available at that time.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 3, 2008, 05:57 PM
    Unless you live in California, if you don't pay full rent they will and can evict you, you have basically no rights, if and when the property does foreclose they will give you notice to move. But as long as the owner of the property still owns it, you are obligated to pay the rent, what they do with the money is not something you have a say with.

In California, if they are really in foreclosure and do not have a plan worked out with the mortgage company it is possible to withhold rent till it is worked out. But this is a fairly new law, not had a lot of law suits proving how it will hold up in court either yet. So if you are in California I would get an attorney to advise me

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leasing a house --owner foreclosure [ 3 Answers ]

After selling my house, I decided to lease another house for a year or so. I have been in the house since August 2007. I have paid my rent and a $2500 deposit. The owner has not paid the mortgage in 5 months. The house is scheduled for foreclosure on Dec. 14, 2007-In Va. Do I have any rights? How...

Cruel cat owner demanding stray back. Can she force it? [ 7 Answers ]

A former friend of ours received a stray female kitten as a pet and treated it very poorly. She tied it up inside the freezing laundry room in the winter and often left for days at a time without feeding it. We rescued the poor thing and told this person it got outside and ran away. However,...

Owner to act as lender to tenant/renter [ 3 Answers ]

I own a rental in Reno. My tenant offers to buy my house. I only owe $80k to BOA and can pay-off. Can I offer mortgage loan to my tenant like a bank? How will I go with this transaction if even possible? Will the mortgage payments consider my rental income?

Will lender notify that there is no deficiency after foreclosure [ 2 Answers ]

My wife's home was foreclosed in April 2007. This was the home she purchased in 2001 before we met. Everything was going just fine for her, good credit, on-time payments. When she and I married in 2006 she put her house up for sale as she was moving from the Detroit area and we now live in my...

Renter eviction due to owner foreclosure [ 17 Answers ]

I am currently renting a house through a property management company in Dallas, Texas and have 2 months left on our lease. I always pay rent early. I just found out that the owner of the property is apparently not paying their mortgage and may be going into foreclosure. I do not have any formal...

View more questions Search