Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    margarita_momma Posts: 299, Reputation: 46

Jul 3, 2008, 09:02 AM
    J9, I need a nurses opinion!
    I am in kind of a pickle. My regular doctor is out on vacation due to the holiday and I am having a problem. I am currently 14 weeks pregnant with my second child. I was fixing my hair this morning and started getting really dizzy and light headed. I felt like I was about to pass out so I sat down. My heart started racing and I could feel my pulse beating all over my body. That was around 8 am this morning and it is almost 11 am now and my heart is still racing. I feel like I have just walked 3 miles. I tried eating something thinking maybe I was just hungry, I drank plenty of water this morning thinking maybe I was dehydrated but nothing has worked. I did a little research and it said usually your body starts to produce a lot of blood around this time and maybe I'm not making it fast enough causing the lightheadedness and rapid heartbeat. Could this be the cause? I just need a little reassurance until my doctor gets back in town. :o
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2008, 09:10 AM
    Momma, can you please call your doctor... she/he has a nurse there that you could at least ask questions to. I don't want you to sit here and wait for an answer and then something happen in the mean time. J will be around, but she isn't always online.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2008, 09:13 AM
    Is there another provider that can see you in the absence of your physician?

Dizziness isn't uncommon, and palpitations like you describe certainly can happen... do you have any history of anemia? Blood pressure issues? Does it get better if you lie on your left side?

Jul 3, 2008, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    is there another provider that can see you in the absence of your physician?

dizziness isnt uncommon, and palpitations like you describe certainly can happen... do you have any history of anemia? blood pressure issues? does it get better if you lie on your left side?

I had pre-eclampsia with my first child and had to have an emergency c-section at 8 months. I started developing it around 6 1/2 months and I was put on bed rest. My OB said I have a 20% chance of having it again. Now I'm not sure if I'm just worked up from being worried about it and that's what's making my heart race or if I'm really having issues with it.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2008, 09:50 AM
    I understand it could just be anxiety after the dizziness.

Were you my wife, with that history, wed be going to a clinic, if not the doctors office, just to be safe.
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2008, 09:52 AM
    I agree, call and then head down to the clinic. We want a healthy baby and momma!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2008, 11:17 AM
    As the others have said, certainly call for the peace of mind... but it is fairly common. Usually due to increased blood volume, drop in blood pressure, and hormones associated with pregnancy.

Jul 3, 2008, 11:59 AM
    Well I called and spoke with a nurse at my Doctor's clinic. She told me pretty much the same thing that DoulaLC said. She said it is probably just my blood pressure going up and down since my body needs to make so much blood and because of hormones. I asked her about the Pre-Eclampsia and she said that doesn't usually rear its ugly head until your usually past your 5th month. She told me to lay down and rest but that is hard to do when I am sitting behind a desk at work. Thank you all for your help!
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2008, 12:05 PM
    Oh so happy to hear... keep us updated! ;)
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2008, 05:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by margarita_momma
    Well I called and spoke with a nurse at my Doctor's clinic. She told me pretty much the same thing that DoulaLC said. She said it is probably just my blood pressure going up and down since my body needs to make so much blood and because of hormones. I asked her about the Pre-Eclampsia and she said that doesn't usually rear its ugly head until your usually past your 5th month. She told me to lay down and rest but that is hard to do when I am sitting behind a desk at work. Thank you all for your help!
    I know much of the time just hearing that it is likely OK is reassuring. It is easy to feel anxious when something different is happening, the not knowing causes a good deal of stress, and that just seems to make you feel worse!
    If you find yourself feeling that way again (and you may notice it more when you change positions), if you can't lay down, use it to practice some nice slow breathing, dropping your shoulders... self-talk can often help... telling yourself relax, all is well.
    Keep up with the fluid intake and be sure not to cut back on your salt intake (unless your doctor has instructed otherwise)... you need a bit more in pregnancy... within reason of course. Sometimes, if you are resticting it too much, it can cause drops in blood pressure.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 4, 2008, 05:53 AM
    I am so sorry I could not answer you sooner. Working nights and trying to get sleep during the day with kids is quite hard.

I would like to thank the others, particularly Doula, for helping you out with your situation.

Just another idea here, since you are concerned about pre-eclampsia, why don't you hop on over to your local pharmacy or WalMart and go to the little automatic blood pressure machines and check your pressure out. That is, if you don't have your own machine at home. They are relatively inexpensive, easy to use, and can keep your mind at ease.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In need of your opinion [ 27 Answers ]

So here is the thing. I really like this guy that I have been knowing a good while. He knows how I feel about him and all that stuff. But the only thing is that he doesn't want a relationship right now, in which I respect that. He hasn't said that he don't like me he just doesn't want a...

What's your opinion! [ 4 Answers ]

PSU contacts Shipley concerning the purchase of fuel oil heat the school building during winter months. In the phone conversation, Shipley agrees to make 8 shipments of oil to the school over a 6-month period from Oct 15, 1984 to April 15, 1985, totalling 750 gallons/month at $1.25/gallon. ...

Could I have your opinion on this? [ 5 Answers ]

We got a puppy which is 8 weeks old from a guy yesterday whom we nicknamed Bella because she was the color of the bella hardwood floors. We got her home and found that she had two ticks on her that were embedded in her and also that she was INFESTED with fleas. We gave her a bath in flea and...

Your opinion on sex [ 10 Answers ]

Well I'm not too sure if this question would go under religion. Wel is it just me or is sex turning into just a fad. Meaning that it's a common occurrence. Before it use to be sacred and chosen wisely but now us adolesense choce to just randomly pursuee pleasure over rationalization and have sex...

I need an opinion [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know where to find pictures/detailed informations about stds because I need it for health class and I don't know where to find it the health book only states the obvious

View more questions Search