Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HelpHim Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2006, 07:59 AM
    Small tank in loft empty
    Hi,

A radiator began leaking a few weeks ago so I switched it off and left it because I was going away. When I went away I switched the Central Heating off and now I'm back, it won't work, the central heating I mean. Won't fire up.

To tell the truth last night it did work - but something is amiss and I expect the problem to recur. I bled the radiators; downstairs is OK, but upstairs (where the leaky radiator was) I get a gush of air (in or out?? ) but no water. And the small tank in the loft (rather than the big one I mean) has hardly any water in it.

What could be wrong? I still haven't fitted the new radiator - plan to in a couple of days.

Any ideas?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 25, 2006, 10:27 AM
    Best if you call a professional on this one.
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Mar 25, 2006, 09:10 PM
    I suspect that the small tank in your attic is the expansion tank. Strange, since they're normally near the boiler in a hot-water heating system, but anyway - if it's empty, you don't have to worry about it. Water initially goes into a system cold. When it heats up, it expands, and needs somewhere to go. The water will compress the air in the expansion tank instead of bursting the pipes. If the expansion tank ever gets completely filled with water, you should use the drain valve to let some of the water out (after closing the valve to the rest of the system). New tanks have a rubber diaphragm that prevents that from happening.

As for the heating problem - it sounds like classic airlock. You'd be amazed at how much air can get into pipes if there is a leak. All of that air has to come out before the system will work properly again. Go back to bleeding the upstairs rads, until air stops coming out of them and you get some dribbles of water. Unless there are other leaks in the system that aren't closed off, you're not going to hurt anything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I feel so empty.. What should I do? [ 5 Answers ]

So I have went through some pretty crazy relationships, but I was always being hurt, or lied too, even cheated on- and finally I thought I found the guy of my dreams. He was amazing- he brought me flowers, drove for four hours at two in the morning to come and see me, and never put me down once. In...

Loft conversion [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to convert our attic into a bedroom. Where do I start? The roof structure needs changing, do I need planning permission?

Small tank in loft empty [ 3 Answers ]

Is your system a two pipe or one pipe system? A two pipe system has a hot supply which feeds the radiator, and the cold goes back to the boiler. A single pipe system feeds through each radiator in a series. Turning off one radiator in such a system will defeat the whole zone. If it is a...

Weapons practice enhances empty-hand moves [ 3 Answers ]

This question is for more advanced martial artists... After beginning traditional weapons studies, did you notice any improvements in your empty-hand techniques? Oldcoach

1 Ram slot on motherboard and it is empty! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there and thanks in advance for any help you can give. I have a generic built computer. Recently in trying to upgrade it I discovered some things, this mother board has on board everything! Sound, enet, video, usb, and apparently RAM. I want to upgrade my RAM. In the system properties it...

View more questions Search