Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stumppond Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2008, 06:19 PM
    Submersible pump trips gfci
    My pond pump has been operating for over a year. Recently it tripped the gfci. I pulled it and took it apart but didn't see anything obvious. I pulled the ground wire and tried the pump and it worked. Anyone have any ideas?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 2, 2008, 07:34 PM
    Motors and GFI's don't always get along. Why do you have it on a GFI?

Jul 3, 2008, 05:32 AM
    The gfci was installed by the previous owner. It's been working without any problem for the eight years I've been here.

Jul 3, 2008, 05:44 AM
    If it is working now, I would call it a fluke and not worry about it. If something is wrong it will trip again.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 3, 2008, 06:17 AM
    Next time this happens, I would check GFI. They go bad quite often, especially when installed outside exposed to the elements.

Jul 3, 2008, 08:02 PM
    My apologies for confusing the issue, the gfci is not the problem. When I reset the gfci, it pops again. I've checked it with another gfci plug with the same results.

The pump apparently has a short somewhere. I susected the capacitor so I took the pump apart and tried it with no load both with and without the capacitor with the same results. I then removed the ground wire and the pumped worked. I'm hoping someone will have an idea which will not require me to open the case.

Jul 4, 2008, 04:59 PM
    If there is nothing obvious in the wiring connections, I suggest that you have a motor winding that is shorting to the casing. You can check this with a meter but it sounds like its time to take to the shop. A capacitor would not cause this. Do you know how to check a capacitor with a meter?

Jul 5, 2008, 05:55 AM
    Guess I'll have to take it in and have the windings checked. Only thing I've seen on checking a capacitor is to check it on the highest ohmmeter setting. If it starts high and then bleeds down it's OK.

Jul 5, 2008, 08:53 AM
    Disconnect all wires to capacitor. Set meter to resistance or continuity. Touch meter leads to capacitor terminals. The battery of the meter will place a charge in the capacitor. Reverse the leads and touch to capacitor terminals. If the capacitor is good the meter will show a momentary current flow.
    sinedo Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2008, 12:28 PM
    Electricity, like water, takes the path of least resistance; removing the ground wire forces all the current back into the neutral, and that seems to satisfies the GFI.

"Ground fault interrupters are designed to protect from electrical shock by interrupting a household circuit when there is a difference in the currents in the "hot" and neutral wires. Such a difference indicates that an abnormal diversion of current from the "hot" wire is occuring. Such a current might be flowing in the ground wire, such as a leakage current from a motor or from capacitors..."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFCI Trips with newly spliced fountain pump [ 5 Answers ]

I am nearly exasperated trying to splice in a new fountain pump. Here's what I did: 1. bought a new pump (190gpm), cut the cord near its plug 2. threaded the power cord through the bottom of the fountain "tub" 3. spliced it to the power cord which runs under the rock patio to the gfci outlet....

Submersible Pump [ 6 Answers ]

A friend asked me to hook up his water pump. He has the red black yellow and green wires running to the house, which he wants hooked up to the box. This is not right is it. I thought that power came from main box to a control box and these wires hooked to control box from pump?

GFCI trips when a separate circuit is activated [ 4 Answers ]

I'd appreciate help on an odd problem. I'm pretty good with electricity but stumped on this. I installed a GFCI in the middle of a 120V outlet circuit. It works correctly, protecting itself and all the downstream load outlets. But, on a completely separate circuit (separate breaker), I also...

How can I get the old submersible pump out? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I asked the submersible pump question a while ago and speedball1 helped me a lot. I have additional question now. I have located the well. Can you tell me the steps to pull the pump out? Is it doable for an layman like me? I am pretty comfortable to explorer things but would like to...

GFCI on breaker panel trips, 3 way, how to find the problem? [ 1 Answers ]

Periodically one GFCI in the panel trips This particular circuit runs an outside outlet, one light in the basement and it seems to work 2 switches and a plug in the family room The problem with the 2 switches in the family room at opposite ends are suppose to turn the plug off and on as a 3...

View more questions Search