Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    delbert Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2006, 02:20 PM
    200 amp service
    I am installing a 200 amp,underground residentual service.
    My ungrounded service leads will be - wire size 4/0.
    My question is, can I use a smaller size wire for my grounded netural?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2006, 02:47 PM
    Yes, but only if the appropriate calculations are done. Installing reduced size neutral is not done very often by contractors, esp for small services, simply because the savings is minimal, and if the calcs are not done correctly, more damage can be done that certainly exceeds the savings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

200 amp service cable [ 1 Answers ]

Good moring everyone! Quick question, I'm still in the process of upgrading to 200 amp service. I've purchaced a panel box and the guy I bought it off said he'll give me the service cable with it. The question I'm trying to find out is, the size wire he is giving me going to work 2/0, 4/0, 6/0...

200 amp service questions [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Utah and have a couple of questions. I have a 150 amp underground service and the circuit box is full even with double breakers. I am adding onto my house, needing to move the 150 amp service and will increase it to a 200 amp service. The power company is OK with this work as moving...

100 amp service [ 6 Answers ]

I want to add some circuits to my 100 amp panel on my home. How do I calculate whether I have any room for additional load? I have a subpanel in the studio which is set from a 60 amp breaker on the main panel... Standard size home 2000 sq ft--part of the home has a studio apt. 3 fridges 2...

Best dsl service [ 2 Answers ]

I presently have Direct TV DSL. They are ceasing operations soon and I need to decide on another service. I would like to go with another DSL service, if possilbel, but I would consider going with a cable-broadband system. I am in the Atlanta area. My questions are how good is Bellsouth DSL. ...

Service entrance [ 5 Answers ]

Can someone tell me how to find out what the amp rating of a service to a house is . The fuse box is old with edison base fuses, but the weather head and pipe to the meter cradel looks newer want to change to beaker panel Not sure what size

View more questions Search