Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dxbabbas Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2006, 12:45 PM
    Status as resident / non - resident
    Hi
    Need some advise on the taxes - I had moved to NY in November 2005 with my wife. We had a baby in December 2005.

I need to know my status as to whether I would need to file my return as Resident Alien or Non-Resident Alien.

Also I want to know that since I received my SSN in January 2006. My employer paid me my relocation allowance and one month advance salary through Cheque. Hence as of 12/31/05, they don't have my W2 form. I am not too sure whether my tax was paid in 2005 or 2006 and when can I claim it.

Lastly, while filing the return, can I claim for benefits on my depedents i.e. my wife and my child.

Please advise... I am totally lost.
    Thanks in advance
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 24, 2006, 02:02 PM
    DxBabbas:

HOW MUCH was the cheque and WHEN did you get it?

If it was before 12/31/05, then you received income in 2005 and should file a 2005 tax return (if for no other reason than to get the withheld taxes refunded).

If it was after 12/31/05, you don't have to worry about a 2005 tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spouse Resident Status [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a Mexican Citizen currently on OPT, changing status to H1B in October. A while ago you advised me to file as a married resident, so I could be able to take the standard decuction, and my child deduction. I have a couple of questions: 1) I know I can file as resident, since I'll be working...

F1 -> H1B, resident/dual-status contradiction [ 7 Answers ]

Hi All. This is my first time in this forum. Though I have read a lot of the threads, this question is still controversial. I am on the same boat as a lot of the others. I was on OPT from June 27 to Sep 30, and on H1B from Oct 1 to Dec 31. However, there is a contradiction with the Sticky Note....

H1B Resident Status deductions [ 3 Answers ]

Last year, I was in dual status (part-OPT, part H1B) and filed a 1040NR-EZ. This year I have become a resident for tax purposes as I have been in H1B throughout 2005. So I have to file 1040/1040EZ. Last year, with 1040NR-EZ, claimed $5000 standard deduction as I am a citizen of India. Can I still...

L1/J1- Permanent Resident Tax status [ 1 Answers ]

At the start of 2005 I was single and employed on an L1, my Fiancée then received a J1 and started work in mid-Jan as a Post-Dpoctral research scientist. We got married on June 25th and my Permenent Resisdent Visa was issued in late August through the US embassy in London. My wife received her...

J1 visa resident status [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Turkish citizen working for an American hotel under a J1 visa. I have been in the US since April 2003, and am now trying to file my taxes for 2004. I am confused by the "exemption" portion of the Substantial Presence Test- if I have a J1, am I considered exempt? I am working as an intern at...

View more questions Search