Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ccdjaz6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2008, 12:06 PM
    One debt - how many collectors at one time
    One loan went to three different collectors at the same time. It is paid off now but one of the three collectors (not the one the debt was paid to) filed a 1099 and now I have a tax liability issue. What can I do?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2008, 12:08 PM
    Locate the proof that it was paid, and send a copy of that along with a copy of the 1099 requesting that it be corrected.

Send it via certified mail, return receipt requested.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 2, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Was the loan paid off in full or was it settled for a lessor amount?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2008, 02:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Was the loan paid off in full or was it settled for a lessor amount?
    Nice catch ScottGem!

Didn't occur to me that you may have been granted a settlement on this.

If you were, the difference between what your balance was, and what they settled for, is now considered your income, and you must pay taxes on that income.
    TheCleaner Posts: 152, Reputation: 3

Jul 9, 2008, 01:45 PM
    Yeap too late now, pay your taxas and start disputing the accounts with the credit reporting agencies, since there is no more money for the collectors in there is not likelly that they are going to put up a fight, they'll delete it if you push them a little.

Carl.-
    farmgirlmo Posts: 107, Reputation: 2

Jul 10, 2008, 10:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdjaz6
    One loan went to three different collectors at the same time. It is paid off now but one of the three collectors (not the one the debt was paid to) filed a 1099 and now I have a tax liability issue. What can I do?

Only the company that owned the debt can send you a 1099.

Anytime debt over $600 is forgiven, they are required to send that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debt Collectors [ 1 Answers ]

I have many debts. I have one specific debt collector calling 5 or 6 times in a row when I don't answer. I have no extra money to pay. I am on disability and my husband has no income since he had a heart attack - so we are just getting by on disability. I have a Debt Collector who left a...

I live in Toronto, Canada and I purchased something back in 2001. I had lost my job and didn't go back to work until 1 1/2 yrs ago and the company bugged me by calling asking for money right up until about 1 1/2 yrs ago. I received a phone call tonight by a credit company (HSBC) saying that they...

Is it legal for a debt collector to ask a minor where his or her parent is at(when they aren't home) and then tell the minor that they will keep calling "monday, tuesday, wednesday, and so on." (If they do not answer that question.)??

Debt collectors [ 2 Answers ]

Is it legal for debt collectors to call aquaintances in order to contact me about a debt? Do they get phone numbers from my phone records

Debt collectors [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a time limit to collecting a debt?

View more questions Search