Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kelligina Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Jul 1, 2008, 08:22 PM
    Levying a Bank Account to Satisfy Judgment
    I won a case in Small Claims (by default, he never showed up) against my previous landlord. It was actually against the property management company. It has been almost 9 months and I have not heard one word from him despite numerous attempts to contact him (voicemails, emails, etc.).

I just filed the paperwork to levy his business bank account, but I have one question:

Once the sherrif serves the bank, it is my understanding that the account is frozen. Does some sort of payment automatically get sent to me from the bank or the sherrif or is it just frozen until the business owner satisfies the judgment?

Thanks for your help!

I live in California
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2008, 06:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kelligina
    I won a case in Small Claims (by default, he never showed up) against my previous landlord. It was actually against the property management company. It has been almost 9 months and I have not heard one word from him despite numerous attempts to contact him (voicemails, emails, etc.).

I just filed the paperwork to levy his business bank account, but I have one question:

Once the sherrif serves the bank, it is my understanding that the account is frozen. Does some sort of payment automatically get sent to me from the bank or the sherrif or is it just frozen until the business owner satisfies the judgment?

Thanks for your help!

What State?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 2, 2008, 07:02 AM
    First, you need to be careful here. You say you won your judgement against the property managers. If so, then why are you trying to contact the landlord? Unless he was named as a party to the suit, your business is with the mgmt firm. It's their account you need to attach.

Once the sheriff serves a writ on the bank, the account is frozen for a period (that varies by location) to give the account holder time to either pay or fight. After that time the money is forwarded to the sheriff who forwards it to you. Depending on location you may have to refile if the balance didn't satisfy the judgement. In other places subsequent deposits will be forwarded to the sheriff.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Levying someone's business bank account [ 1 Answers ]

I have a two year old judgment against someone in small claims court for $100.00. This man has made no payment arrangements at all. He is a local business man who owns and operates a construction company. Is there any way to place a levy on his business bank account and if so how is this done. If...

Levy on bank account after making payments on judgment [ 4 Answers ]

We had a lawsuit against our landlord in late January resulting in a judgment against us. We have made payments to the landlord since the judgment for two months now and sent payment as recently as last week and have receipt. I tried to use my account yesterday and all 3 accounts (personal,...

Texas -- collection, judgment, exempt wages, bank account [ 4 Answers ]

I'm asking this question for a friend. He currently lives in Texas and has lived here for the past 16 years. He was recently sued for an old credit card debt, but no court date or judgment has been given yet. At this time he cannot afford bankruptcy although it will be something he'll seek out...

Judgment & Bank Account Levy [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My bank account has been frozen by a collection agency/lawfirm that received a default judgment for $2,700. The original debt will be 10 years old this October. I will be going over to the Civil court and file a "Motion to vacate judgment" on the grounds I never received the court...

View more questions Search