Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fanie Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2008, 03:23 AM
    No Icons and No Taskbar
    I have a laptop that when it starts takes me to my desktop but I have no icons no taskbar no nothing but my arrow curser and wallpaper...

I have tried the following:

I cannot right click on screen.

Ctrl + Alt + Del = Task Manager
    Then from file, run new task, msconfig
    From here I launched System Restore, after restore I get the same blank screen with no icons and no taskbar.
    When I run explorer "My Documents" open.
    Tried to boot with Windows Xp Pro to repair, it boot but then sit with blank screen.
    Any help on this please.

Thanks
    Fanie
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jul 1, 2008, 08:14 AM
    First, try the System Restore thing again but go WAY WAY WAY back, go back months if you have to.

If that doesn't help, any more info you can give about what was being changed on the computer when this started happening might shed some light.

Jul 2, 2008, 03:47 AM
    Hi

I have done the System Restore as far back as been allowed, still the same result. Was busy on Internet updating some files when computer restarted. After that the problem started.

Thanks
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 2, 2008, 04:00 AM
    What happens when you fire up task manager and restart explorer process ?

Jul 2, 2008, 04:14 AM
    Explorer open with "My Documents" and that's all
    BossMan

Jul 2, 2008, 04:21 AM
    Sorry, but that's not right.

Task manager > File > New task > Explorer.exe > OK

Jul 2, 2008, 04:45 AM
    That is what I did. Explorer open with "My Documents" highlighted. Desktop under folders, also My Computer, DVD Drive, Control Panel and the rest. Everything is there within explorer. Still no icons on desktop and no taskbar
    BossMan

Jul 2, 2008, 04:52 AM
    OK sounds like it is already running.

Look in processes and End the explorer process and then restart it.
    Well worth install SP3 as this should resolve this problem, especially as you are having difficulties doing a repair install.

Jul 3, 2008, 10:39 PM
    Hi

I installed SP3 and now my problem is even worse, after install Laptop restart, go as far as the Windows Logo and restart again and again... even in Safe Mode the same happen. Restart with option "Dont restart on error" then blue screen with this error : Stop: c0000139{Entry Point not Found} The procedure entry point GDIGetBitmapBitssize could not be located in the dynamic Link Library GDI32.dll

What can I do next?
    tf7426 Posts: 282, Reputation: 21

Jul 4, 2008, 03:03 AM
    Boot up your windows xp cd and go to repair console and after you select your windows xp installation and enter password type exactly this:

Copy c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\gdi32.dll c:\windows\system32

It worked for me when I had that error with a beta of sp3

Jul 4, 2008, 05:58 AM
    I saw that on some other site, but my problem is the laptop boot from CD and after the first line on screen it goes blank, the harddisk light stay on and nothing happen after that. I have tried with 3 different XP CD's, same result. Hirens Boot CD work, so DVD drive is OK
    tf7426 Posts: 282, Reputation: 21

Jul 4, 2008, 06:36 AM
    So that blows my next suggestion to reinstall windows xp!:(

So what I suggest is if you need to save anything off the computer, download and burn ubuntu Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu and save the stuff you need to an external disk or mp3 player, now you can either install ubuntu on or continue to my next suggestion

Get hold of windows 98se off a friend or something and install that, then do an upgrade of windows xp

Jul 4, 2008, 07:23 AM
    I will first try and connect the laptop SATA drive to my Desktop and copy the GDI file over and see what happen. Will do so over the weekend and let you know on Monday what happened.

Thanks
    twilcox Posts: 86, Reputation: 8

Jul 4, 2008, 03:32 PM
    Chances are this could be a problem with your BIOS. That would explain why you can't even boot from a CD. Either that, or your hard drive has seen the end of its life.

Jul 7, 2008, 12:14 AM
    Updated to SP3 and the GDI32.dll file been copied back. Now I am back to squire one. System boot with only background and no icons plus no taskbar
    twilcox Posts: 86, Reputation: 8

Jul 7, 2008, 12:50 AM
    Have you tried booting into Safe Mode? At boot up, press F8 and choose Safe Mode with Networking
    clm9944 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2008, 08:14 AM
    I just had that problem the other day... I kept rebooting until finally my desktop showed up. After that I looked in my Nvidia Control Panel and turned SLI off and the problem went away. Don't know if you have SLI but just thought I'd throw that in just in case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Icons No TaskBar only Wallpaper? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi I am new to this community but to get to the point here is my question. I have a dell inspiron 600m that when it starts takes me to my desktop but I have no icons no taskbar no nothing but my arrow curser and wallpapper... Things I have tryed: Ctrl + Alt + Del = nothing happened ...

Taskbar Icons Disappear [ 1 Answers ]

When an application is open, and/or when I minimize an application, the button is not displayed in the taskbar. Anybody? Hp Pavilion m1072n Media Center Edition - Windows XP (sp2). Thank You! Andrew.

Icons in Taskbar [ 1 Answers ]

I lost all my icons on the task Bar and the little arrow that I use to see the hidden icons. What do I do to get them back?:rolleyes:

Hidden Icons & Taskbar [ 6 Answers ]

My students have hidden the taskar and all windows icons. Even when pressing the windows key I cannot see the taskbar. Please help

Taskbar Icons [ 4 Answers ]

I have a problem with the taskbar icons on a computer I am working on. They are abnormally small. The rest of the screen looks fine but the icons down in the bottom right hand corner of the screen next to the time and the quick launch toolbar are tiny. The icons are so small that, on the right...

View more questions Search