Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    w0lfm4n Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2008, 12:25 AM
    Email/ filesharing not working on network
    Hey Guys,
    I recently started networking with a router (I was doing it adhoc) aand all was going well, then I rebooted pc's, and the net still shares... but filesharing is a no go now. I haven't bn able to check my amils since I put the router in.. My host can't be found, or whatever that reason is. If there is any help you can give me... would save a lot of headaches,
    Cheers
    twilcox Posts: 86, Reputation: 8

Jul 1, 2008, 01:03 AM
    Couple of questions for you:

First off, are you running DHCP or are your IP addresses manually typed in?

Chances are that your problem has to do with incorrect IP address information. Make sure that your computers are set to use DHCP, as the router will attempt to assign them an IP address and provide them with all the information that your computer needs to get outside of the network.

Other possibilities are that your firewall on your router hasn't been set up properly and it's blocking ports that you need open for your email (21 is SMTP and I can't remember the POP port).

Second, are you on a wired or wireless connection?

Jul 1, 2008, 01:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by w0lfm4n
    Hey Guys,
    I recently started networking with a router (I was doing it adhoc) aand all was going well, then I rebooted pc's, and the net still shares... but filesharing is a no go now. I haven't bn able to check my amils since I put the router in.. my host can't be found, or whatever that reason is. If there is any help you can give me... would save alot of headaches,
    Cheers
    Thanks for the quick reply Twilcox,
    It is DCHP, not manually installed. Both are set to use it. The IP is the IP that the router gives out, the router gets the isp ip and then gives both pc's 192.168.1.1 (for this pc). We can use the internet, just can't share each others folders/ files with each other. Wen I first used the router, both pc's were using net AND dsharing files, after a reboot and such, net working, sharing files isn't.
    The firewall isn't even enabled on the router, I just checked.
    When I was adhoc, I was able to share files, and the files were located in the local network group in my network places. Now, they have moved to "Internet"
    It is a wired connection.
    twilcox Posts: 86, Reputation: 8

Jul 1, 2008, 02:29 AM
    Just a crazy and random thought, have you run the network connection wizard since putting in the router? This may very well solve the issue. Be sure as well that you have both computers set to the same workgroup name.

Jul 1, 2008, 03:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by w0lfm4n
    Hey Guys,
    I recently started networking with a router (I was doing it adhoc) aand all was going well, then I rebooted pc's, and the net still shares... but filesharing is a no go now. I haven't bn able to check my amils since I put the router in.. My host can't be found, or whatever that reason is. If there is any help you can give me... would save a lot of headaches,
    Cheers
    Nah, I never run the network wizard as such, the router ran his own. But when I found that everything was working, file sharing and net, didn't think it would need to be done. Yup, they are both in w0lv3s den. After rebooting them again, pc2, is able to see pc1 (this main pc), but pc1 still can't see pc2. I am not sure if this will help you at all, but...
    w0lv3s den is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.
    I get that error, when I try to "view workgroup computers"

Jul 1, 2008, 04:02 AM
    Just a quick update, pc2 is able to view the workgreoup computers, and sees me... BUT doesn't have permission to access \\w0lfm4n. At the bottom it said "The operation completed successfully"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not on college network, my computer says it cannot detect wireless network?Belkin [ 2 Answers ]

I took my Dell laptop with me to college and used a cable to hook it up in the dorm. When I came back for the holidays my parents had gotten a new wireless card (BELKIN) for their laptop but said that they didn't change anything else. My computer used to run wireless at this home and my parents...

Error with filesharing [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Experts, I have 2 computers connected wireless with a wireless router to dsl-internet. The first computer is a desktop what is in a workgroup named home. The other is a laptop from university that works with a domain: campus.tue.nl Both computers have internet, and ping each other. ...

Wireless Network is not working [ 1 Answers ]

I have wireless internet setup and it quit working a few weeks ago. No settings were changed. Hardwire works fine on both laptop and PC so the network adapters are fine. I have a Netgear 54mbps wireless router.

View more questions Search