Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    H. Bunch Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2006, 05:19 AM
    Voltage drop
    How far can you run an electrical cord, that is plugged into a 20 amp circuit, and still run a circular saw? If the saw starts slowly, will that harm the saw?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2006, 06:42 AM
    I don't think you'll damage the saw, but I'd think if it starts slow then your cord is heating up big time.
    What's the amps on the saw - and the length and gauge of the extension cord?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2006, 06:53 AM
    If you are just going to whack a few boards off, it may be OK. I would be more concerned about the saw heating up than the cord. If it is outside laying on the ground, it isn't going to set anything on fire.

Using a heavier cord could make a difference. I have a couple of 25' 14 gauge cords. I also have a couple hundred foot of 16 gauge cords, and haven't had a problem. My circular saw is a light duty one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Voltage Drop [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 20 amp breaker;there are a total of 7 receptacles on this circuit with a 15 amp GFI on the first receptacle. The first 5 receptacles in line work fine, the last two receptacles which are approximately 70 feet from the 5th receptacle flip the 15 amp GFI off when plugging in a drill. I...

9-8 drop? [ 1 Answers ]

Please let me know if there is something called a 9 8 drop in plumbing .it has something to do with the drainage system in kitchens and bathrooms.

Voltage drop. Is this normal? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a rural, small cabin (aprox. 50 yrs. Old) on a co-op electrical grid. The main panel with circuit breakers was recently installed (before I got here, 100 amp service) but the wiring was not replaced. It's the old two-wire (no bare copper ground). When I run certain circuits (220 well...

Voltage doubler [ 1 Answers ]

How do you figure out how big of a capacitor you need for a voltage doubler circuit? I am putting together one for a 250 VA 24 volt transformer.

Drop down [ 2 Answers ]

I know I have done this before, And I can't remember how I did it. I would like to eliminate the search history, from the search field when I start to type something it gives a drop down of previous searches. I do not want it to do this- how can I change it?

View more questions Search