Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

Jun 30, 2008, 07:07 PM
    Spina bifida in adults
    My bro-in-law was just diagnosed with spina bifida. He's only 32. I want to be a support for both him and my sister. What may happen to him in the future and is spina bifida with late on-set like this hereditary. Could this appear in my 10 yr old nephew? Any info would really be appreciated.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 30, 2008, 07:11 PM
    Spina bifida is a birth defect usually detected at birth. I wonder why it was diagnosed only now.

It is a birth defect caused by very little, if any, folic acid in the pregnant woman's diet.

Can you fill me in on why it was detected so late in life?

Are you sure it's spina bifida?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 30, 2008, 07:41 PM
    Spina Bifida - Spina Bifida Association

This link provides a lot of info, but I will be honest I could not find any info from 100's of pages that did not show them having it as child and getting worst as they get older
    Expert

Jun 30, 2008, 07:48 PM
    While rare, it can manifest itself later in life in the form of a Pilonidal Cyst

There are several forms of spina bifida, some are not as obvious as others and show up later in life, as stated above.

I am curious, though, what the circumstances that the OPs brother was diagnosed with this at this age.
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

Jul 15, 2008, 08:00 PM
    He was always getting severe back pains and issues with his lungs and other symptoms. Back when Tim was little, I think his mom was a partygoer and I know his father was. He is a heavy duty mechanic by trade, could his occupation have anything to do with this? I wondered if his condition is hereditary? Does his half-brother need to be checked and what about his 10 year old son? I will try to gather more info J9. Thanks, all.
    Expert

Jul 15, 2008, 08:04 PM
    Spina bifida usually manifests in the lower back, more near the buttocks, most of the time, but not always. Now, you say he is a heavy duty mechanic, and that this involves his lungs, does he work with chemicals? I believe this would be a disorder other than spina bifida. Maybe scoliosis?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teens on adults [ 2 Answers ]

Okay I go to this for after school and I'm 12. So there are teens sitting down on and I'm sitting down behind them. Then my mother comes to put me up to go home. And the lady that runs the place asks my mom a question. They start talk then my mom has to pay for something. As my mom walks by them...

Spina bifida [ 2 Answers ]

After a x-ray to see if there was scoliosis it was determine that my 7 yearl old had soina bifidia occult. What a shock to have heard that. I want to know if this should or could have been detected earlier. Or does it show as they are growing? We are also in the process of moving from NY to GA....

Adults and abuse [ 1 Answers ]

I just want some opinions on this one: I have noticed in reading a lot of these posts that many people claim verbal/mental/emotional abuse exists in their relationships and marriages. Do you think: A) People have always been this bad to one another, we just have a name for it now B) ...

Adults won't listen to me [ 6 Answers ]

Question answered, thanks for your help. :)

View more questions Search