Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dutchess08 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jun 30, 2008, 03:57 PM
    Sears Riding Mower will not move-drive
    I have a Sears 42 inch model 917-272352 and it has run perfectly until; now. The last I mowed was fine and I put it in the shed. A couple of weeks later I went to run it and it started right up but would not engage in to any drive or gear.
    I removed the deck to view the drive belt and pulleys and they all appeared fine. I even viewed while the engine was running and while it was attempted to be put in gear. Still nothing appeared unusual.
    I have heard if the belt is loose it will not engage so I am wondering if I should replace this and see what happens.is there an easy way to determine if the belt is bad?
    Or what else may be causing this?

You should note while removing grass from the trans housing I found a small metal rod that is about 2 inches and about a 1/4 inch square. I could not see this on the parts listing but was wondering if this may have something to do with my issue.

Any help wold sure be appreciate and I thank you in advance.

Nick C.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2008, 04:57 PM
    Yes, the rod has something to do with not engaging the mower. The belt does not.
    dutchess08 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jul 6, 2008, 08:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    Yes, the rod has something to do with not engaging the mower. The belt does not.
    I found out the rod was supposed to be inserted in to the axel in the slot where the wheel goes over it. Without the rod inserted the wheels will not turn. Your answer was sort of correct but did not explain anything as far as what to do about my problem. Thanks anyway

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Diagram for replacing lawn mower belt on Sears Craftsman 4000 Riding Mower [ 9 Answers ]

I need a diagram on how to replace a belt on the Sears Craftsman II 4000 riding mower

How to put a belt on sears riding lawn mower? [ 2 Answers ]

How does the belt go on the mowing deck of Sears riding lawn mower? Sears gt 16H.P. twin model #5022536208044

Sears Lawn Riding Mower [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone ever had a problem with a Sears riding mower blade disengagement?

View more questions Search