smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jun 30, 2008, 02:13 PM
    Adjusting entries
    Is this right?

The following are accounts that might be related to an adjusting entry:

Account --Deferral/Accrual --Related Income statement acct

Accrued interests and accounts receivable --Accrual --Interest income
    Allowance for loan losses --Accrual --Accounts Receivable
    Premises and Equipment --Deferral --Prem. & Equip. exp.
    A/P, accrued expense and other liabilities --Accrual --Interest expense
    Criado Posts: 142, Reputation: 15

Jul 1, 2008, 04:11 AM
    I am not sure if I understand the question correctly but here are some of my comments.

Accrued interests and accounts receivable --Accrual --Interest income
    => I think Interest receivable should be used other than Accrued interests and accounts receivable

Allowance for loan losses --Accrual --Accounts Receivable
    => this cannot be classified as accrual nor deferral

Premises and Equipment --Deferral --Prem. & Equip. exp.
    => The account should be Accumulated Depreciation-Prem. & Equip not Premises and Equipment; Prem. & Equip. exp should be Depreciation Expense-Prem. & Equip.

A/P, accrued expense and other liabilities --Accrual --Interest expense
    =>Expense Accounts instead of Interest expense

I hope this helps :)

Jul 1, 2008, 04:50 AM
    Sorry, I don't suppose I explained my question too well. I had to look at the financial statements of JPMorgan Chase, pick 4 accounts that could have been adjusting entries accounts, say whether they were accruals or deferrals and name an income statement account that could be related. The names are just what was on the financial statements, but I wasn't sure if I paired them up right, was right about accrual/deferral, or even picked adjusting entries to begin with. I don't really understand the concept of adjusting entries. I understand why you have to do it, such as using half of your prepaid rent and having to account for that, but I don't understand how you pick the other account to adjust or why it's called adjusting when you do it when you do the financial statements, not after you do them all and then go back and adjust it. Anyway thanks for the response.

Jul 1, 2008, 06:01 AM
    Usually, pairing is standard.

If you saw a prepaid rent, the pair is rent expense (deferral)
    If you saw accumulated depreciation, the pair is depreciation expense (deferral)
    If you saw wage payable, the apir is wage expense. (accrual)
    If you saw unearned revenue, the pair is revenue (deferral)
    If you saw interest receivable, the pair is interest revenue. (accrual)
    Sometimes, but not always, accounts receivable is also paired with revenue (accrual)

Jul 1, 2008, 06:07 AM
    I missed another of your query.

In lay man's term, it is called adjustment because we need to adjust certain account because it is no longer what it is.

Assume that Supplies as of Jan 1, 2008 is $800. On December 31, 2008, the supplies on hand after counting it is $200.

Notice that what is reflected on the book is still $800 but in reality it's only $200. Thus, we need to adjust.

Because we only have $200, this means we used (expensed out) $600 worth. So, to adjust the account we debit. Supplies Expense $600and Credit. Supplies $600.

Jul 1, 2008, 06:11 AM
    Ah well I have to spread the rep around it seems, but that explained what I wasn't understanding. It seems kind of simple now... lol. Thank you!

Jul 1, 2008, 06:40 AM
    You're welcome :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adjusting Entries and Closing Entries [ 6 Answers ]

The Flash Pan Company manufactures cooking products. On August 1, 2007, the company borrowed $125,000 from creditors. Semiannual interest payments of $7,500 are to be made to creditors beginning January 31, 2008. On July 1, 2007, the company purchased a 1-year insurance policy for $10,000 and...

Adjusting entries [ 3 Answers ]

Here is the sceneraio: THe following information was collected to be used in adjusting entries prior to preparing financial statements for the company's first three months A) The December 31st inventory of computer supplies was $1,440 B)Three months have passed since the annual insrance...

Adjusting entries [ 1 Answers ]

What is the entry for An owner that withdrew cash for personal use from the Business. Say his name is raymond This is what I entered Dr: Raymond Cr: Cash Is this correct? Do I have to enter it in the capital account and as what a debit or credit

Adjusting Entries [ 1 Answers ]

How do I do this! (a & b) Merchandise Inventory as of Dec 31, $19,700 (c) unused supplies on hand $525 (d) Unexpired insurance on Dec 31, $1000. I know how to enter them into quickbooks but what do I do to get the amounts? Do I just use the $525 and $1000? How do I get the amount for...

View more questions Search