Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eslperfect88 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2006, 10:55 PM
    How to get shy students to talk?
    I am teaching conversation classes to Korean Middle School students. There are 15 of them and only 3 will talk or speak, and the rest are shy! So how do I draw them out to speak since this is a conversation class? If they do, they are so soft-spoken that anyone can hardly hear them at all.
    HELP! HELP! Before this become a disaster for me.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2006, 08:06 AM
    Hi,
    Overcoming shyness takes some time, and can be a real issue.
    I would suggest taking the ones (3 or 4) outside, or putting them in another room, just for a short while, maybe 30 minutes, while you have the class with only the real shy ones.
    You could make up some kind of excuse, or give the 3 non-shy students something extra to do, away from the others.
    The shy ones are waiting for someone else to talk. If the non-shy ones aren't there, they may be more inclined to answer themselves; since they are the only ones who can say anything for a little while.
    I do wish you the best of luck, and keep a big SMILE on your face all the time... shy people like to see smiling faces, so they won't be afraid of you.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2006, 02:31 AM
    Try to do a class activity. If the 12 shy students get to know you better, and each other, they will be much more likely to participate since people tend not to be as shy around their friends/people they know.

One example might be to talk about common interests…sports, current events, music, TV, whatever they are interested in.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Mar 24, 2006, 06:57 PM
    Try something out of the ordinary, bring a pet, like a dog, cat, rabbit, mouse any thing. This way they are focusing on animal and not you. Seniors citizens that do not speak or socialize very much in nursing home blossom when a pet enters the facility.

Other things like cup cake or food, you can bring for a conversation starter Also you could try coloring books and crayons. I realize that these people are probably older but who would not want to color.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sex talk [ 3 Answers ]

I need someone's help, my boy friend wants me to call his cell phone and leave him a very dirty detailed message about what I would like to do to him sexually. He really likes the sexy, dirty talk. He is a truck driver and is not home much. The only problem is I can't think of anything dirty and...

Why would she talk to me now? [ 5 Answers ]

I had the best relationship of my life with this one girl. Six months have gone by and my Ex-girlfriend of two years just contacted me through an online gaming service Xbox Live(exactly like an instant messenger). She said, "Nothing's changed. I have been thinking about you lately and was...

What to talk about [ 5 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I was wondering if you could help me with conversations. I tend to be a more shy person and when I do try to talk to people I don't know what to talk about and then I feel awkward. Im sick of being the "quiet" girl that no one knows. Please help if you can. By the way, I'm in high...

Talk to me! [ 2 Answers ]

How can I get my puppy to tell he that he needs to go potty? My scotti is 5 months old now and is pretty good about going potty outside but I think it is me that is trained, not him! I am the one trained on a schedule of taking him out. He'll just go in the house never indicating that he has to go...

View more questions Search