Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rssmith07 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Installing a concrete shower floor over a custom concrete pan.
    I want to install a stained concrete shower floor instead of tile. I have already installed a custom shower pan and pitched it to specs. My question is should I be concerned about the new floor cracking since it will only be 1/2" thick?

If you have any other suggestions on the install, please comment.

Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 30, 2008, 01:39 PM
    So you have a mud shower pan and you want to pour a 1/2" thick layer of concrete on top of it, right? I would not advise this for several reasons. It does stand a fair chance of cracking but concrete is porous and will be very hard to keep clean and free of bacteria. Ceramic tile and porcelain are good products, any reason you want to avoid them.
    rssmith07 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2008, 01:55 PM
    Just like the look of the stained concrete better than tile. Is their a finishing method if I use a morter mix w/flex agent that will give me less pourous surface? What if I seal it?

Jul 1, 2008, 08:51 AM
    You can and should seal the concrete with a good cement sealer, Thompson's water seal would suffice but would need periodic repeats. Flex agents can be added to concrete but a bonding agent applied to the mud pan is more important. You should have no flex in the concrete unless you mud fails and then it is pretty much a mess. With tile you can always regrout to maintain a water seal.

Jul 1, 2008, 07:58 PM
    Rssmith, tile on a mud pan, you should use thinset. Also buy a pre-mixed stain proof grout.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a concrete patio floor [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install 10ft w X15ft long concrete patio slab. How should I proceed?:confused:

Installing Closet Flange on Concrete floor [ 3 Answers ]

I'm installing a basement bath and have a ceramic floor installed up right around a 4 inch PVC soil drain for my toilet. The floor is laid directly on the concrete. I intend to use a flange that can be glued inside the 4" PVC for the toilet. I'm wondering if the concrete flooor will give enough...

Installing custom sized shower pan on concrete slab [ 1 Answers ]

I am removing an existing fiberglass shower unit to replace it with a larger, custom-built ceramic tile shower. The subfloor is a post-tension concrete slab. I will not be able to move the drain, so it won't be centered in the new shower floor. I'm Ok with having an off-center drain. But, all...

Installing shower or tub on concrete slab [ 1 Answers ]

mattp New Member Join Date: Nov 2006 Posts: 1 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am getting started on installing a full bath in my basement and I am some what intimidated by the tub/shower situation. I have a rough in for the tub...

Moving drain in custom shower, whirlpool tub and toilet on concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am finalizing plans to update a master bathroom that sits on a concrete slab. My question is: can shower, whirlpool tub and toilet drain holes be moved without drilling into the concrete? If so, what is the maximum amount that the holes can be repositioned without having to drill? I would...

View more questions Search