Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Seek_guidance Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2006, 08:41 PM
    Exemptions for Non resident Indian on H1
    Hi,

I came to US on H1 in Oct 2005. (I do not satisfy the substantial presence test). I suppose I need to file the 1040NR-EZ form.

1. Can I claim the 5000$ standard deduction under India US treaty as a business apprentice (I do not know who qualifies to be a business apprentice)?
    2. Am I exempt from Medicare and Social Security taxes?
    3. I got interest on money deposited in my bank (ING Direct). Am I exempt from tax on it? Do I still need to report it and fill in 1040NR instead of NR-EZ?

Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 22, 2006, 09:41 PM
    SG:

1) No, you cannot. Students and business apprentices would be under a F-1 visa. Your H-1 visa is a work visa.

2) No. Your H-1 visa status makes oyu liable for these taxes.

3) No, that interest is subject to taxes.

You CAN file as a resident alien if you wait until June 2006 to file under First Year Choice. That will allow you to claim the $5,000 standard deduction.
    Seek_guidance Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2006, 09:49 AM
    Thanks a lot!
    I did not know about that option. Could you please elaborate a little?
    Or give me some links as to where I can find more information on this?

In this case I will have to apply for an extension for filing returns before filing it in June. Is that correct?

Thanks again!!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 23, 2006, 10:32 AM
    I have explained First Yea Choice multiple times on this forum. If you read the questions over the past two weeks, you will find a detailed explanation.

Yes, you need to file an extension. The Form is Form 4868.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

F1-H1B exemptions ? [ 1 Answers ]

I was on F1 from August 2003, I started working from Feb 2005 on My OPT and my H1b came into effect from October 2005. I am assuming I have to fill the 1040 NREZ form since I read that if India has a treaty with USA I should fill forms as NR alien. My question is the exemption deduction of 5000...

Capital Gains Taxes for an indian non resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I wanted to find out if I am liable for capital gains taxes on my primary home that I plan to sell. It is the very first house that I have bought. I am an indian citizen and on F-1 visa. India does have a tax treaty with US but I am not sure what the IRS says with respect to capital gains. Can...

Tax exemptions on F1 OPT? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a British citizen with an F1 visa. I am currently employed as a full time permanent employee under the OPT allowance, while my employer applies for an H1B on my behalf. What taxes am I exempt from while still on the F1? Many thanks, Debora

View more questions Search