Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ericalynn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2006, 08:28 PM
    To what extent should governements attempt to influence public opinion?
    Im having difficulty studying this, and have found nothing that relates to this topic on the internet. I have found how people influence the government in decision making.. but not about the government and how he influences the people and his country. I know that media and using propaganda like hitler did, influences the public, using opinion polls is very popular too, I need to know though at what extent should the government influence an individual's choice and opinion... can anyone help me on this subject?
    Style Posts: 48, Reputation: 7

Mar 22, 2006, 08:38 PM
    I know that media and using propaganda like hitler did,
    Not a very fair comparison,here's a hint,nearly every major world leader used some form of propaganda during their stead in office...

As for at what extent should the government use propaganda to influence opinion it's a much too difficult question to be given one answer to,it depends on what's the aim of the influencing,the nature of the people being swayed,the methods being used to sway the opinion,etc. Is there a particular example you want to ask about?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 22, 2006, 08:43 PM
    Of course our political parties (both of them) using half truths and sometimes down right lies use various influence to have their ideas and their desireds made into law or their people voted into being.

Government in itself uses various laws ( restrict churches from free speech on political issues)

Government uses new tax codes to attempt to make people invest or to spend

Government makes "announcement" or news releases when they want to divert attention from one event to another.

They start a 100 percent inforcement on seat belts to influence opinion to wear seat belts. ( they seldom to 100 percent inforcement on anything else

They release food diagrams and the such, ( OK you say that is only facts) that that effects peoples opinion on certain types of food.

Also they cause rumur, we were discussing that this morning, they make an annoucement that there is no "truth" to some story, of course everyone will believe then there is truth in it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Government influence [ 13 Answers ]

When should a government be allowed to influence the public opinion?

Should government attempt to influence public opinion [ 14 Answers ]

Should government attempt to influence public opion?? If the answer is yes, why .

Another attempt to get an opinion [ 9 Answers ]

I am having issues. My ex boyfriend / friend in a different state searched for me for 3 years and found me 3 weeks ago. We haven't seen each other in a decade, but he felt strongly like he had to find me. At first I didn't know what to think because I have been married for four years. I feel such a...

Government influence [ 0 Answers ]

I need to know if there are any aspects of life that the government doesn't have influence over?

Influence on Government [ 1 Answers ]

Which has the most influence on government--the media, interest groups, or political parties? Why? In what ways? Which should have more influence? Why?

View more questions Search