Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    happybisaya Posts: 68, Reputation: 6

Mar 22, 2006, 07:22 PM
    What is it, and why is it covered?
    For the past couple of years now of walking my dog around the neighborhood, I can't help but wonder what is this upside down U-shaped tube thing in everybody's yard. It is wrapped sometimes with what looks like a black garbage bag and some are wrapped with a thick tape. What is this thing? :confused:
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2006, 04:15 AM
    Gosh I can't picture it. Are you speaking of something like a croquet wicket?

You've got my curiosity for one. Can you snap a digital pic of a couple of them next time you're out - and post them here?

Mar 23, 2006, 07:34 AM
    Yes, it looks like a croquet wicket and it is about 2 inches in diameter. What I think it is, is that maybe it is for water or gas. From the sidewalk I can see that it has a round thing on top that has a shape and size of a hockey puck. I live right around Fort Walton Beach FL, and I don't think it is to protect it from freezing temperature. Our water meter is inground and covered, so when the water reader comes to measure the water usage, all he has to do is open the cover and read. I am just curious as to why this pipe is above ground and covered.
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2006, 07:38 AM
    I'm thinking not to do with water since it's above ground - and not do with gas since gas lines need no weather protectants.

Are they covered with the plastic year round?

Mar 23, 2006, 07:51 AM
    Yes, it is covered year round. I think that before they wrap it with the garbage bag, the homeowner wrapped it with some thicker material, because as I look at the other wicket looking thing, they are skinnier and wrapped with a black foam-like tape.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 23, 2006, 08:03 AM
    Wild guess, some control for a sprinkler system, but honestly I can't picture what he is talking about
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2006, 08:09 AM
    we need a digital pic!

how can we all keep up with the joneses if we don't know the latest in yard deco? =)

Mar 31, 2006, 07:25 AM
    Thank you for taking time to answer my question. I have been trying to take a picture but I am afraid somebody might call a police for trespassing. Ha-ha. Yesterday,I took a different route when I walked my dog, and I saw those wicket shaped things on the yard and they are not covered. I think Fr_Chuck is right. But how come some people covered theirs, are they trying to protect it from freezing temperature?
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2006, 08:12 AM
    Happy, now you've got us all curious... now that the weather is getting nicer, I hope you'll see one of the folk outside so you can just ask them.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2006, 08:18 AM
    Hi,
    Just a like to add this:
    These U-shaped tubes are probably from a "shallow well" system for lawn watering.
    I was born and raised not too far from Ft. Walton Beach, FL.!
    At that time, Well water was only about 20 feet below the ground. Many homeowners use a separate well for sprinkling their lawns. Some of these tubes may be to eliminate oders from the Sulfur water. The water was so bad that my father had to replace "iron" water pipe about every 10 yrs.
    The water also smells of Sulfur, so these could be "odor eliminators", before the lawn sprinklers are turned on. (eliminating the Sulfur smell from going all over the neighborhood, while spraying the lawns).

Mar 31, 2006, 08:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    Just a like to add this:
    These U-shaped tubes are probably from a "shallow well" system for lawn watering.
    I was born and raised not too far from Ft. Walton Beach, FL. !!
    At that time, Well water was only about 20 feet below the ground. Many homeowners use a separate well for sprinkling their lawns. Some of these tubes may be to eliminate oders from the Sulfur water. The water was so bad that my father had to replace "iron" water pipe about every 10 yrs.
    The water also smells of Sulfur, so these could be "odor eliminators", before the lawn sprinklers are turned on. (eliminating the Sulfur smell from going all over the neighborhood, while spraying the lawns).
    You know what? You might just be right. We have a sprinkler system but not from the well that is why we don't have something like that in my immediate neighborhood. We were told that we are a little bit elevated (compared with the houses further down the street) that is why we cannot have a well. But for the houses further down the street, most of them have it. By the way, we live in the Niceville area. Thanks a lot for the info. I will gather up some courage to ask one of my neighbor who has that thing. Ha-ha. I'll post the result in a few days.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2006, 08:48 AM
    Hi,
    Thank you for your reply today.
    We are all very curious about "why"!
    Please let us know what you find out.
    I do know where Niceville, FL is. I made a cast net to catch mullet. Had to watch out for the stingrays!
    Mullet is good eating, if that's what one was "raised" eating... kind of like Grits. Love them, too.
    After moving to the Ft. Lauderdale area, going fishing in the inlets and out
    Some ways from Port Everglades, found out that mullet is bait! Don't figure.
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2006, 08:48 AM
    I'm still thinking not plumbing:
    1. just a covering would not be a good protectant in the wintertime, and
    2. why would they be covered year round?

... of course I could be wrong :o
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2006, 08:59 AM
    aw c'mon! You're killing me.

be the nosy neighbor and take a pic. I really doubt the police will be called and if they were, well, maybe THEY know the answer.

take the pic pleeeeeaaase. I double dog dare you. =)
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2006, 07:50 PM
    These devices were first marketed during the cold war era. The were designed to be an early sensor for any radiation after a nuclear attack. Since the end of the cold war, the need has diminished, so they cover them.
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Apr 7, 2006, 04:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by happybisaya
    For the past couple of years now of walking my dog around the neighborhood, I can't help but wonder what is this upside down U-shaped tube thing in everybody's yard. It is wrapped sometimes with what looks like a black garbage bag and some are wrapped with a thick tape. What is this thing? :confused:
    it is back flow preventer ( atmosphere vacuum breaker) for the sprinkler system; it must be at least 12 above the highest sprinkler head... the wraping is for insulation purpose
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2006, 08:37 PM
    So far we have:

Croquet wicket
    Control for a sprinkler system
    "shallow well" system for lawn watering
    Mullet is good eating (not related to the question, but a great line)
    Early sensor for any radiation
    Back flow preventer ( atmosphere vacuum breaker) for the sprinkler system

Survey says:... most think lawn.

Give a pic already! Please?
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Apr 12, 2006, 03:28 AM
    My hubby has a mullet if I ate it I'd get a hairball heehee... I agree. Please end this suspense and tell us what you found out

Apr 12, 2006, 04:10 PM
    Hi everyone, so sorry to keep you guys waiting. I have to make a plan on how to take a picture on something at somebody's yard without getting arrested. This took me days of planning after kp2171 asked for a photo. First, I scouted the area where the thing is most visible and not covered. Then, I drove around thinking what is the best day the neighborhood is empty. Then I have to enlist my kids and his friends and girlfriend to go with me and briefed them on what I am about to do during the walk, of course, with the dog. So off we went, mom ahead of the pack of 7 (16-17 year olds)teenagers noisily following along, discussing our mission. Suddenly, the target is in sight. I pretended to take my dog and the groups picture, and everything did not go as planned. One of my son's friend (the tinkerer) stepped in my neighbors yard and started touching it and tugging the tape out, and before you know it all the kids were in my neighbor's yard. I have to do something fast.Then my son said, I might as well get closer and take a close up picture. So I let him before we get in trouble. And here is the picture. I am sure you guys know what it is. Ha-ha. Okay, how should I insert the picture from "my pictures"?

My picture will not fit. I'll be back. Sorry. :D
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2006, 03:50 AM
    If your software does not have a resize feature, try this:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=15873

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to "finish" an unfinshed, covered patio? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to "finish" my unfinished covered patio, which is fairly large in size. It presently has only large openings covered by roll screen, and all of the rafters and support framing are exposed. My initial plan was to cover all of those rafters & support structures, leaving it as a screened...

My kitten was covered in ants evan in her eyes now she's blind and dying [ 2 Answers ]

i found my kitten in my sisters room and it was compleatly coverd in ants evan in her eyes and mouth...i got them all of but now she is blind and she is dying..but i dont know what to do....i tried feeding her...and it did give her some energy....but not much...what should i do?

View more questions Search