Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jun 30, 2008, 08:38 AM
    8 x svchost.exe
    Why are there multiples of svchost.exe running in my task manager running under system, local service, and network service, and am I allowed to close them? (A few years ago I closed explore.exe mistaking it for iexplore.exe and gave myself a scare ;-)) All but one take up about 3000-5000k, except for one which takes up 30,000k. I'm on a toshiba laptop, if it means anything.
    olivesandtrees Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Nov 21, 2008, 09:12 AM
    It is a generic host process name for services that run from dynamic-link libraries. Do not end task it!

There is a great articale on svchost here that explains exactly what it is and several way to cut down the amount of them from running What is svchost.exe And Why Is It Running? :: the How-To Geek

If you see svchost is using 100% of your processor it is probably being caused by a known memory leak in that process follow the instructions at » How to Fix svchost.exe using 100% CPU / Memory Leak - Technibble - A Resource for Computer Repair Technicians & to get PC tech support help. to fix that specific issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Svchost 100% [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, recently my computer's memory has been spiking to 100% most of it being used by svchost. When this happens I can hardly do a thing, my Internet Explorer freezes, I'm really lucky to post this on mozilla Firefox. I've been cleaning my computer out with software such as AVG, CCleaner, and...

Svchost.exe - Application Error [ 3 Answers ]

I am getting below error ! Can I have soution for this ? I am using Win XP SP 2 svchost.exe - Application Error --------------------------- The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000409) occurred in the application at location 0x5b86a3c0

CPU Usage 100% svchost.exe [ 1 Answers ]

Using all the CPU usage on start up, takes about 10 minutes to load before I can use my computer normally, done a Norton Anti Virus scan and made sure I have SP2 installed, still having problems. Ran a HijackThis and got the following results, are there any of these I can remove?? Thank you ...

Svchost.exe problem [ 1 Answers ]

My svchost.exe mem usage is very high in taskmanager how resolve it.and my system is very slow suggest.

Svchost.exe [ 2 Answers ]

What's a 'svchost.exe'?? The fact that 'svchost' rhymes with 'ghost!' worries me(I'm worried that it's a virus )especially when there are usually four of them running at any particular time :o This is what I see when I press alt+ctrl+del (I'm using XP): Windows Task Manager: Image name |...

View more questions Search