Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lhenlen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2008, 12:11 AM
    How to respond to a Credit Card Summons and how to deal with them
    About two weeks ago, I got a summons saying I am being sued by my credit card company, chase to be exact. Can someone please help in in how to go about in answering a summons? I have 30 days and it must be in legal form. I don't know what form to use. Also, chase had been calling me telling me that they can still workout a plan with me. I am already a member of "Achieve Financial Security" where I make payment to them and they will negotiate an amount for me to pay the credit card company. They had made offers but the offer that was given back to us were too high for me. I simply could not make the payment. I am not denying them payment. I just need them to allow me to pay small amounts now. I mean, I know I'm not the only one having hardship these days. If I wanted to not pay the credit card companies, I would file for bankruptcy right now but I don't want to do that. I know I can get through this but I just need time. Can someone please help me. I just need to know what I can do from this point on and how to handle this and if there's a 'legal' form out there I can use to answer the summons I received.

Thanks!
    TheCleaner Posts: 152, Reputation: 3

Jun 30, 2008, 03:52 AM
    You will found what you need in this url, all free of charge.

Good luck

Carl

Is There a Lawyer in the House - The Credit Info Center Forums
    farmgirlmo Posts: 107, Reputation: 2

Jul 10, 2008, 10:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lhenlen
    About two weeks ago, i got a summons saying I am being sued by my credit card company, chase to be exact. Can someone please help in in how to go about in answering a summons? I have 30 days and it must be in legal form. I don't know what form to use. Also, chase had been calling me telling me that they can still workout a plan with me. I am already a member of "Achieve Financial Security" where i make payment to them and they will negotiate an amount for me to pay the credit card company. they had made offers but the offer that was given back to us were too high for me. i simply could not make the payment. i am not denying them payment. i just need them to allow me to pay small amounts now. i mean, i know i'm not the only one having hardship these days. if i wanted to not pay the credit card companies, i would file for bankruptcy right now but i don't want to do that. i know i can get thru this but i just need time. can someone please help me. i just need to know what i can do from this point on and how to handle this and if there's a 'legal' form out there i can use to answer the summons i received.

thanks!
    Find out if the account is out of statutes of limitations first or not. If it is out of SOL then you can use that as your defense.

If you call up the courthouse the summons was filed through, they can tell you how to respond as well. The clerk can't provide legal advice, but can guide you on the proper way to answer.
    tracyp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2009, 05:17 PM
    About 10 days ago, I got a summons saying I am being sued by my credit card company, bank of america to be exact. Can someone please help in in how to go about in answering a summons? I have 10 days to respond to the summons. I don't know what form to use. I simply could not make the payment because of a change in jobs and a reduction in pay. I am not denying them payment. I just need them to allow me to pay small amounts now. I know I'm not the only one having hardship these days. If I wanted to not pay the credit card companies, I would file for bankruptcy right now but I don't want to do that. I know I can get through this but I just need time. Can someone please help me. I just need to know what I can do from this point on and how to handle this and if there's a 'legal' form out there I can use to answer the summons I received.

Thanks![/QUOTE]
    holmes62 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2010, 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCleaner View Post
    You will found what you need in this url, all free of charge.

Good luck

Carl

Is There a Lawyer in the House - The Credit Info Center Forums
    How do I reply to a credit card summons and what kind of form do I need?
    holmes62 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2010, 01:45 PM
    [How do I reply to a credit card summons and what kind of form do I need?QUOTE=;][/QUOTE]
    ForUFromMe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2012, 05:10 PM
    Dear Farmgirlmo:
    We went through the same scenario several years ago. We had multiple Credit Cards in arrears that we could not handle anymore due to a layoff. We hired an agency that was supposed to negotiate with the CC companys for us... but they never did - and then one CC company sued us suddenly. I was so mad at the 3rd party agency that was supposed to be helping us. What we did is fire that agency and we picked up the phone and negotiated ourselves directly with each CC company. After doing this, we didn't feel intimidated by them any more and was able to work out deals and payoffs with each one of them. I believe that the only way to work these kind of financial tangles out is study up yourself on all pertaining laws and take control yourself.
    Roy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card summons [ 1 Answers ]

How should I handle a situation if I have been recently summoned

Civil summons for a credit card, but my fianc? Has never had a credit card [ 13 Answers ]

Hello! My fiancé has received a civil summons from a law firm representing Discover card. My fiancé has never had a discover card in his life. His parents hae one, but the civil summons is for him. He has never received a bill or a letter or a phone call. Apparently the card balance has been...

Summons on credit card [ 5 Answers ]

I received a summons on Saturday for an old credit card debt with a bank. I am currently unemployed since Oct. 2004 and have no property. What can happen at court? Can they garnish my husbands wages for my debt. I live in Queens, NY

If there is a judgement against me in California and all I get is social security 697.00 direct deposit can the lawyers take it and also I have a97 chevy cavalier in my name and my 41 yr old daughter has a 2002 chevy tahoe thatis under her name and mine can they take her s and mine idont have any...

How can I challenge a credit card summons? I received a summons today for a credit card debt ($2,647) that I owe. The amount reported is mostly over the credit limit fee, late charges and accrued interest. I cannot afford to repay the debt at this time and definitely cannot afford wage garnishment...

View more questions Search