Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tang_cousinz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2008, 03:28 PM
    Revolutionary War
    Why did the colonists declare Independence when the British were taking money from them because the previous war was for them and the British needed money. Also it's not like most colonists couldn't pay for it so why did they start war?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2008, 08:00 AM
    Good question . The Brits thought that the colonists should help pay for the expenses of the French and Indian war. The colonists were angry that these taxes were imposed on them without having a say in the decision. (no Taxation without Representation)

Your comments about most colonists being able to pay is irrelevant because of the issue of representation... and probably wrong. Although the founders were affluent ,most colonists scratched out an existence like most of us.
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Jul 27, 2008, 09:08 PM
    The specific reasons are found in the Declaration of Independence:

The Declaration of Independence - TEXT

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Revolutionary war [ 9 Answers ]

It is imprtant for armies to have "game plans" so they can work together on different fronts at the same time. Why didn't that work for german's plans?

Revolutionary war [ 2 Answers ]

I have a speech due for my college class and was wondering if you could tell me where I could maybe conduct an interview with someone who knew a lot about the revolutionary war. I don't know where to begin but I would appreciate any feedback. Daughters of the american revolution? Thanks

Revolutionary war [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please help me with the following question. Were the promises of the Revolutionary War fulfilled in its aftermath, specifically during the period from 1789-1828? To what degree had society and politics changed?

View more questions Search